Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    looks like airexcelentcess is desperate heh heh

You will probably be fine at your age. I am in my 40's and 225lbs. Sometimes I am too fat to fit in some crawl spaces. I do suggest you get a couple of years experience before starting your own company. Also have a license, in Michigan it will take 3 years. Also most important have some money in reserve. 50 to a 100 thousand. If you start out in debt for trucks and other start up costs it may be a struggle if you are not busy.

I started HVAC before 50... and am closing on 60.

As noted: Installs are tough on the body... get a helper to do the heavy work

One 'can' do it... however as noted one needs years of experience to really understand the work... even residential.

Find someone that will hire you and learn, learn, learn!

The tech part is what you need to learn... then learn how to run a business.

Best to you... hope it works out.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I started HVAC before 50... and am closing on 60.

As noted: Installs are tough on the body... get a helper to do the heavy work

One 'can' do it... however as noted one needs years of experience to really understand the work... even residential.

Find someone that will hire you and learn, learn, learn!

The tech part is what you need to learn... then learn how to run a business.

Best to you... hope it works out.

One of the big problems is he will be the helper for the next several years.
    That can be physically challenging as well as mentally challenging to take orders from someone half his age.
    Effort is the 1st step towards failure.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC Service View Post
    One of the big problems is he will be the helper for the next several years.
    That can be physically challenging as well as mentally challenging to take orders from someone half his age.
    Yes, if he goes to work for a larger player he will be the low guy and get the gut work... not good for someone unless they are healthy.

In my area there are lots of small players who would hire a helper (maybe part time) if the person showed tech understanding and motivation.

Yeah, being the low guy on the list in a large co... when in one's 50's... would be tuff both physically and mentally/emotionally.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I suggest 6 months on an install crew, 6 months being a helper/clean &check tech, after that I would recommend dispatcher or sales.

This industry is full of salesman/comfort professionals who have not a clue.

Lane

Wow, nice reponce rate!

I attended a highly recognized HVAC pre apprentice program a few months back. Did not get any calls for a position "Everyone says they are full or, not hiring"

Anyway, I have been a auto mechanic twice "second time now for last three years" and work for my self. I also do lubrication of cranes and heavy equipment just no mechanical work.

How would you rate the physical demands of Automotive work on light passenger cars,trucks and vans vs the physical demands of a HVAC install technician ?

Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    I attended a highly recognized HVAC pre apprentice program a few months back. Did not get any calls for a position "Everyone says they are full or, not hiring"

Anyway, I have been a auto mechanic twice "second time now for last three years" and work for my self. I also do lubrication of cranes and heavy equipment just no mechanical work.

How would you rate the physical demands of Automotive work on light passenger cars,trucks and vans vs the physical demands of a HVAC install technician ?

Thanks much!
    I was a truck mechanic back when... so I think I can comment here...

If you want to do installs full time... you might do better staying in the auto shop... If you want to to service/repair... it is by far easier.

Personally: I get install crews to do the gut work of my installs and I do the tech stuff. Keeps me from doing too much heavy work. This approach would be less physically stressful than auto repair.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

What State are you in? If you are in a southern state lots of attics or crawl spaces to work in. If in Michigan lots of basements easy to work in. I was in a crawl space yesterday. I am 225 lbs. 6' tall. If my stomach were 4 " larger forward I could not have done this job.

I started out when I was 35. Took a night course that was similar to yours, just a way to separate you from your money. Found a company willing to hire an "old" guy for minimum wage as an install helper. Did grunt work for a year but watched and learned all I could. By year two by showing hard work and enthusiasm unlike the 18-20 year old installers, I got sent to several factory service schools and worked as a tech until I had the hours to qualify for the state license. Had a great boss and we partnered jobs for a while after I got my ticket and until I was able to fly solo.

Just my opinion, but trying to start your own co. when you don't even know the trade will be a very uphill battle. Customers can usually identify a clueless individual and if you are the company owner, then who do you call for help?

The only way I can see anyone hiring you to "train" you for your future plan would be to work at a minimum wage doing the grunt work and then doing your best work and not *****ing about it. For me, installs everyday when I was 35 was a killer as most of our equipment is in the attic. Service work not as hard but lifting compressors, lugging torches and nitrogen bottles onto a roof isn't easy either.

I do about 1 install a week with two helpers and am your age. It usually is a full day process and for me it is an a$$-kicker. Good luck to whatever you decide to do.
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

Quote Originally Posted by AtkinsonAirCare View Post
    honestly any 200 hr class sickens me, to the core put in your time like i did become a real tech not a fly by night , i am not a sales man i am a technician Their are many mechanics out their im insulted when someone calls me a mechanic i put in a year and 3 months of technical collage and earned my stripes in this trade many a times and am sick of going behind 200 hr course fly by night MECHANICS/SALESMEN but i am grateful for them at the same time , cause i can prove them wrong and take their customer that they have been screwing over , yes i know not everybody that does the 200 hr course is a POS but alot are and its a damm shame, me personaly i would love to keep non professionals away from a/c units.
    I don't think completing a 15 month course gives you the ability to walk on water,makes you a "real tech", or gives you the right to trash a guy for trying to better himself.

I wouldn't have a problem hiring a older newbie as long as he is physically able to perform the work.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by captain123 View Post
    It all depends on your attitude and how much you want to succeed. First you must have a mechanical apptitude if you do then you can make it. I am 64 years old, sold my company and went to work as an A/C tech. I love it. I crawl through attics and under houses and work 65 hours a week and run marathons on the weekends. I don't have to work but I enjoy it so I don't ever plan to retire but I may cut back to 40 hours next year.
    Wow. I got exhausted just reading this. You are a bad bad man!
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

56 now and started at 20 been a long time did install for many years and the past couple years only service
    can still get arround real good and at 165 i find by the end off a day my knees and back hurt like hell

tuff trade on the body and just as tuff on the mind most times
    but no regrets love this trade

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast