Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I remember when I first entered the trades as an electrical apprentice at 21, I was told that I am too old to get into the trades and apprenticeship since most people get in at 18 after HS, a lot of it comes down to your physical ability in my opinion, this trade like most are demanding physically and I don't know if I would want to be doing this in my 50's.

When I was doing my schooling for refrigeration and gas fitting, I would say that average age was 40 in my classes, older than one would think, a couple of people were in their 50's as well.

You are way too old to get started in the trade, its going to be very hard for you to find meaningful employment as a service tech. I advise you to apply for maintenance jobs where hvac is part of the picture. good luck!!

I agree. Perhaps you can look for apartment complexes. Many of them require EPA certification. However, the pay may be on the low side.

It all depends on your attitude and how much you want to succeed. First you must have a mechanical apptitude if you do then you can make it. I am 64 years old, sold my company and went to work as an A/C tech. I love it. I crawl through attics and under houses and work 65 hours a week and run marathons on the weekends. I don't have to work but I enjoy it so I don't ever plan to retire but I may cut back to 40 hours next year.

I started to trade school when I was 45 went for 2 yrs got a job in the field 1 year befor I graduated , was in installation for 5 and I am now in the service end , I have a lot to learn I am 55 now and plan on working another 10 to 15 years if my body holds out.

I have two friends, one in his mid forties, the other in his mid fifties and they just recently started a career in HVAC. As stated earlier, you do have to keep in mind the physical aspect, but if the have the strong desire and will, why not? These two guys are doing very well and try to continue to learn something new everyday. Their age has been an advantage since they have the maturity and have a long history general business/corporate/customer service/mechanical experience.

half of these guys are full of crap, im 60, in good shape, work everyday, sometimes on sunday, i love my trade, my dad will be 86 next month, works everyday, still goes on service calls, dont listen to the nay sayers, your age will be to your advantage. these young pencil necks are making us older guys more important every day

Am I being realistic at all?
    Not really

What is your opinion about my plan?
    Still laughing

What are some of the obstacles I might encounter?
    Your age and you will need a license

What are some of the advantages?
    The fact that you will work for yourself, no way anyone would hire you. not just your experience, but your age makes your medical cost more, age discrimination may stink still it is what it is

Unfortunately 50 plus are in the minority, 60 plus are in the super minority, 80 plus are in the super duper minority.....

good luck old man I know how you feel about 10 years behind you.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Quote Originally Posted by mike dixon View Post
    half of these guys are full of crap, im 60, in good shape, work everyday, sometimes on sunday, i love my trade, my dad will be 86 next month, works everyday, still goes on service calls, dont listen to the nay sayers, your age will be to your advantage. these young pencil necks are making us older guys more important every day
    there is a huge difference between a 60 years old tech with 30 years of experience and 55 year old guy with no experience, trying to break into a new trade. experience sort of compensates for the negatives of old age, without it you are just plain old and the odds of getting a field job are very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by mike dixon View Post
    Amen brother!

Welcome and as most have said you will find many in your age range in the field. I am currently enrolled in a 9 month program (finishing the 7th month this Friday) and in our school I have seen quite a few guys your age starting out.

Someone mentioned that you need to check your local area/state for their regulations concerning going into business. I am in Florida and have heard that you need a minimum 3 years verifiable HVAC experience before the state will grant you permission to be a contractor. I had dreams of maybe owning my business about 1-2 years of working for someone but after hearing that plus all of the other headaches and costs associated with running your own business here in FL I don't know. Maybe after a few years of being in the trade I will be able to form a better opinion but for now I will be happy to be working in the field for someone. Good luck to you and welcome again.

It is really pretty much impossible to start a new business with no experience in the trade. There is just too many things out there to have experience with, different equipment, installation practices, codes, instruments to learn...
    I think the associates is a great way to get into the business and figure out where to start the learning process. Its a great industry, and ever evolving.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast