+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No motor load

Post Likes

No motor load

Had a call a supermarket last week, the store was too hot and no air was moving. It was on a 40 ton split system. I found the compressors iced up and triped out on low suction pressure. Went up to the air handler and found the wheel in bad shape.

Post Likes
    damn, that's not going to be cheap
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Two guys and one day to pull the roof off the air handler pull out the junk and install new. I'm not looking forward to it and of course it's been in the 80º's and really nice weather. When the new blower wheel arrives it's going to be snowing that day.

Post Likes
    Had a job just like that beginning of September. NOT A FUN JOB but I got it done. I'm guessing you'll probably have to replace the bearings and the shaft. Does it have two blowers, or is it just the one? The one I worked on had two, but I couldn't convince the customer to replace both blowers. They just wanted the bare minimum done.

Post Likes
    It's just got one blower wheel it's 3' wide by 2' in diameter. I bid for new shaft and bearings as well. If you going into that far might as well do it right and make everything new.

Post Likes
    You got that right. I feel bad when I know that the customer is making a bad decision by not replacing the whole thing, because if it has to be taken out again, it will cost just as much but hey, it's not my money.

Sounds easier than the job I had to do, because it was a double whammy. Your wheel is bigger than mine were, but have fun! Disassembly is much easier than re-assembly. Are those pillow bearings?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by realcoolbreeze View Post
    You got that right. I feel bad when I know that the customer is making a bad decision by not replacing the whole thing, because if it has to be taken out again, it will cost just as much but hey, it's not my money.

Sounds easier than the job I had to do, because it was a double whammy. Your wheel is bigger than mine were, but have fun! Disassembly is much easier than re-assembly. Are those pillow bearings?
    Yep I love pillow block bearings. Just hit'em with a 10 lb sledge hammer and the carrier is off and out of your way.

Post Likes
    Well, good luck to you, let me know how things turn out!!

Post Likes
    At least you don't have a 20 year old Carrier, 20-ton air handler that was enclosed by three walls!!! Only access was to the belt and control side of that unit. Had to punch out access in two other walls to install new wheel, shaft, pillow block bearings and pulleys. Count your blessings, you have it easy!
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Post Likes
    Idmth44: Yours is worse than mine was! Mine was from 1973, but I at least had access to everything!

Post Likes
    there's something ya don't see every day...
    Want the whole truth WWW.infowars.com

Post Likes
    That's just an off-set blower wheel :P

Post Likes
    Looks like someone shot a rifled slug through it! Sure it wasn't deer season on the roof. Wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near that when it let loose...
    -Surf Life Hard!!!-

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in