Threaded View

zoning an existing hydronic system

I'm considering making some modifications to my hot water heating system with cast iron radiators, to have some zone control. There are only 2 people living in the house, and there's no reason to heat more than the bedroom overnight. I only need 2 zones: the bedroom, and everything else.

I think it could be done using a thermo electric radiator valve (see link below) strategically placed in the basement to choke the flow to the risers and radiators in rooms I don't want to heat. I'd like to find a programmable thermostat with remote sensor capability that can also control these valves.

It would have a "heat whole house" mode where the valve is open and the boiler is controlled to keep the living room thermostat satisfied. It would also have a "heat bedroom only" mode where the valve is closed, blocking flow to everywhere except the risers to the second floor bedroom, and the boiler is controlled to keep the bedroom thermostat satisfied.

I'm just curious of the opinion of anyone who has seen this sort of modified system. Is there anything to worry about with regards to closing the valve on the majority of the house? The valve would block flow to 6 of my 7 radiators while allowing flow only to the other 1. Is this type of control common in residential applications? Am I going to have a hard time finding a thermostat that will do this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

thermo electric radiator valve:
    Sites that direct sell, or post prices are not allowed to be linked to
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-03-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: removed link