Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hallowell Acadia stuck in stage 1 only - help

I have 2 store colonial 3200 sq ft house, two 4-ton Acadia's were installed Fall 2009. It worked beautifully last winter, but now something is wrong.

The second floor system is working great. The 1st floor one is fubar. The heat always blows out cool. Ok I dont know the temp, but it seems like the 1st state heat. When you put the thermostat up a few degrees, and it goes to stage 2, or stage 2 blinking, the air temp is the same. Emergency heat mode, same thing. Seems like it is stuck on stage 1. So with outside temps 35 high and 10 low right now, it's tough to stay warm. The upstairs unit does compensate, but that is not the answer.

My installer went out of business, but i know the guy, he went to work for someone else. I called him, he says Hallowell has not returned his call(s). Connecting that with recent speculative comments in posts about Hallowell layoffs/buyout/etc.

Also a friend of mine had the same thing happen to him at the same time. He build a 5000 sq ft house at the same time i build my house, and has 2 4-ton units and 1 3-ton unit. One of his is doing the same thing.

Anyone have any idea or advice?

Does anyone know a good Hallowell Acadia install/service guy in the Mahopac NY area (50 miles north of NYC)? I dont want to call random guy.
    Last edited by jjd95; 12-10-2010 at 03:11 PM.

do you have a F.W.Webb supply house near you? if so give them a call to see who are the local installers/service companies in your area and go from their.

The easiest first step might be to swap thermostats and see what happens. Perhaps the driver circuits aren't asserting the signals properly. The chances of this are low, but it's much easier to swap stats and see what happens since they pop right off the wall. At least you could rule them out and move onto the control boards in the indoor/outdoor units...

The closest FW Webb is 55 miles from me, I will try them.

Switching the thermostats had no effect, the upstairs still ran correctly, the downstairs did not.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know any user group type websites for Hallowell customers? Do they have a facebook page or anything like that?

Here is a page from the Hallowell website. If the info is correct, you have several dealers in the general area: Fishkill, Bedford Hills, Newburgh, Wappingers Falls.

I'll try to contact a few of their dealers to see if anyone has been in contact with Hallowell.

Meanwhile the comments below this article seem to indicate Hallowell is out of business.

So if Hallowell is out of business, would it even be possible to fix my unit? Maybe if it is a small common hvac part? But what if it is the control board, or compressor? Wouldn't parts like that have to come from Hallowell?

http://www.blueplanetgreenliving.com...ting-industry/

Quote Originally Posted by jjd95 View Post
    I'll try to contact a few of their dealers to see if anyone has been in contact with Hallowell.

Meanwhile the comments below this article seem to indicate Hallowell is out of business.

So if Hallowell is out of business, would it even be possible to fix my unit? Maybe if it is a small common hvac part? But what if it is the control board, or compressor? Wouldn't parts like that have to come from Hallowell?

http://www.blueplanetgreenliving.com...ting-industry/
    The owner/one of the owners is a member of this site. And he may see this post and be able to advise you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If anyone affiliated with Hallowell reads this, and wants to help me, please send me an e-mail at

I called the 4 closest dealers listed on that webpage. DSilvestri said they would come down and take a look, but would charge me an extra $ for travel, they are 30 miles away. Folkes Heating declined, saying I was too far away. Airmasters said they would look at it, if I first faxed them the paperwork from my original contractor, so that they could contact Hallowell about getting parts covered under warranty if necessary. Mt Kisco Mechanical would come out to my house for a service call tomorrow.

I asked a few of them if they heard anything from Hallowell recently, and airmasters said they had not talked to them recently, but they got a parts shipment from them like a week ago. The other had no clue about any buyout/out-of-business rumors.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-13-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: removed price, phone number, and typed email address

No prices allowed in post.

I also removed your phone number. Do you really want it floating around the internet so you can receive prank phone calls.

Put your email address in your profile.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OK I think it is fixed now.

A guy from Mt Kisco Mechanical came out to the house and looked at it this morning. First thing I asked him, was how many Hallowell Acadia's he had worked on before. None, he said, but we all went through the training. That made me a little nervous. Anyway I explained the situation, he checked out the thermostat, air handler, and heat pump. Asked me for the manuals to check some more stuff. He said the heat pump unit had a blinking error #6, he would have to call Hallowell. Also, he showed me a jumper on the air handler (just like on a computer motherboard) which was set to "no heat" instead of "heat". So that was why the emergency heat mode on the thermostat did not work. So I guess in the past year, when my thermostat showed 1+2 blinking, I was not getting any heat from those heat strips.

He called the Hallowell number on the front of the manual, got passed to voicemail, and left them a message. Not even 2 minutes later his phone rang, it was a Hallowell technician. The error #6 was some sort of internal compressor lockout. So I think he just had to pull the disconnect, wait like 15 seconds, and put the disconnect back in, to clear it. The Hallowell guy said that the compressor tripped because it got too hot, it was working too hard. Usually 2 reasons for this would be, (1) not enough air flow, (2) problem in the coolant system.

The filters were fine, air flow seemed ok. The Hallowell guy said something like 20 degrees subcooling. The service tech checked the R-410A coolant, it was low. He said there is likely a slow leak somewhere, probably since original installation, and I should get it checked out in the Spring. He topped off the 2nd floor unit which he said was ok, but on the low end. So he added 14 lbs. He checked out both units, dip switches, wiring etc. The attic unit also had the strip heaters off, he changed both to on.

I'm thinking I might go back and disable them to save money/prevent them from going on. Might this cause any problems with the units/compresors/etc?

Here is what the service tech wrote up (no prices in here)

So the rumors about Hallowell getting bought out / going out of business may or may not be accurate. They were super responsive for me today, and they helped the service tech over the phone to get my problem diagnosed/fixed. And it does not appear to be a Hallowell equipment problem.

So hopefully everything is fine now. I'll see how it goes in the next few days. Any comments would be appreciated.

jjd95, I'm really happy for you. These units are nice units, and they sure do save some money when the temperatures get real low out there. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these guys are around for the long haul. I've spoken to a couple different people at Hallowell with various homeowner technical questions, and they've both bent over backwards to answer my questions and make me a happy customer.

My Hallowell unit broke down again last week, so I am not sure if the tech really fixed it last month.

The first floor compressor unit tripped the main 60 amp breaker in the house breaker box. I reset it, and it happened again. Any idea what might cause this? I don't see any error codes on the outside unit. I guess because the power was lost, the codes cleared. I'm on emergency heat now.

One other thing, I'm not sure the jumpers on the air handler are set right. I'm reading the owners manual, too bad I can't understand everything.

Appendix A figure 1 seems to indicate that the 4 jumpers should be on A, A, D, B. Mine are on A, B, B, C. But what do figures 2 and 3 mean? They seem to give multiple options for those jumpers based on airflow or something.

Compressor is dead.

Last Monday someone from Bell HVAC came out to my house to check out my Hallowell unit. Took them only a few minutes to determine the compressor is dead. That was 10 days ago. Since then, Bell has been unable to get the part, they called several distributors, and Hallowell too. They said Hallowell never got back to them, the distributors saidthe same thing, no call back from Hallowell. They suggested I try calling Hallowell myself.

So maybe Hallowell is not around anymore, I dont know. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast