Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New compressor but no filter drier?

Post Likes

New compressor but no filter drier?

Hello all,
    I just had a new compressor put in my five ton Carrier Infinity. Gentleman came out and fixed it fast. I was not home when he came so didn't see him work. I was sitting down to do a review and decided to go outside and look over his handy work and noticed that he didn't replace the original filter dryer on the system. Unless things have changed, my dad as an ac man and never changed a compressor or condenser unit without a new filter drier. I thought I would ask here to see "what the norm" is before calling him or placing my review.
    Thanks,

John

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Winn View Post
    Hello all,
    I just had a new compressor put in my five ton Carrier Infinity. Gentleman came out and fixed it fast. I was not home when he came so didn't see him work. I was sitting down to do a review and decided to go outside and look over his handy work and noticed that he didn't replace the original filter dryer on the system. Unless things have changed, my dad as an ac man and never changed a compressor or condenser unit without a new filter drier. I thought I would ask here to see "what the norm" is before calling him or placing my review.
    Thanks,

John
    When a system is opened the filter dryer is replaced. Call them and ask why it was not.

Post Likes
    I agree with second opinion, you should have had a new filter dryer installed. If it was a "burn out" compressor, then additional clean up filters are needed. Otherwise the 2nd compressor will only last a very short time!! IMO

Post Likes
    Wow call him ASAp!!

I had a very similar thing happen the so call " HVAC pro" knew he was replacing a compressor that failed via acid burout and charged me for an acid away purge and virgin Freon but the fool left in the old suction line filter to feed the the new compressor...it lasted 13 months just long enough to be out of warranty.

I now have a case to go before the contractor review board. This contractorl thinks it is ok to do thsi ?

Please any of you pro's who know thisi is super substandard workmanship post it here.

I asked Emerson for Copeland compressors for a statement that when an acid burout happens the compressor suction filter must be replaced they never replied.

This contractor must feel he had an in with the review board as we all know he blew it bigtime.

Post Likes
    John, you've gotten two professional opinions thus far and I will make it a third. The filter should have been changed, period. There is no room for argument. It literally takes less than five minutes to change. It's not too late, it can still be changed and you should demand they do so.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    we always change filter dryer with new compressor. ALWAYS !!!!
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Post Likes
    When he comes out to change the fool filter have him bring and acid test with him. At no point should he have left an old filter on there after a burnout. As Second Opinion said the filter should be changed whenever the system is opened though few rarely do that with little or no detriment at least in the short term that I have ever seen or heard of if it is fairly young to begin with. It's a relatively cheap part and an easy replacement and good habit to have them changed when opened to the moisture.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    Shouldn't the suction line filter be replaced within 24 hours of the initial installation of said filter?

Post Likes
    sounds like another hack doing crappy work wonder what else he didn't do correctly

Post Likes

Who hijacked who???

hey guys ...and john...

All I was asking is..

Did you get your contractor to return to do it right.

Please do not hijack this to paste into a new thread. Like someone just did

As long as we are on the same subject of not replacing suction line filters the first time we should share what happened??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomkat862 View Post
    hey guys ...and john...

All I was asking is..

Did you get your contractor to return to do it right.

Please do not hijack this to paste into a new thread. Like someone just did

As long as we are on the same subject of not replacing suction line filters the first time we should share what happened??
    You Hijacked said thread.

OP is talking about liquid line filters not suction line filters.

If the suction filter had no PD then it did not cause your compressor to fail.

Post Likes

a filter is a filter guys

OP said:

"....work and noticed that he didn't replace the original filter dryer on the system..."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomkat862 View Post
    OP said:

"....work and noticed that he didn't replace the original filter dryer on the system..."
    Stop hijacking the thread. A filter is not a filter. There are different types, which need to be replaced at different times.

The original filter dryer would have most likely been a liquid line filter dryer, not a suction line dryer.

I will be the 7th pro to suggest to call him back out.
    On a compressor change out, I would change ANY filter/dryer in the system or add one if it's not present.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    sounds like another hack doing crappy work wonder what else he didn't do correctly
    it is possible that I spoke improperly on the carrier units the drier is supposed to be installed at the indoor coil is.is the drier at the indoor coil

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    it is possible that I spoke improperly on the carrier units the drier is supposed to be installed at the indoor coil is.is the drier at the indoor coil
    Would you put a drier there if unit was in attic?

Or will the <110° degree heat drive moisture back in system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Would you put a drier there if unit was in attic?

Or will the <110° degree heat drive moisture back in system
    No, no more so than 110 degrees outside near the condenser. My understanding is it takes a lot of heat, as in from a torch, for the desicant to release moisture. Sight glasses should be installed after the drier and it's silly to put one inside where you can't see it while charging. In a perfect world, if it's just a drier and no glass, you should install it inside in a conditioned space.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes

why did you boot tomkat862

He told me the HVAC Talk blocked his postings...he did raise some good points

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdogg View Post
    He told me the HVAC Talk blocked his postings...he did raise some good points

Because YOU were trying to use HVAC-Talk to support your lawsuit, and that is a non-no..

And now you broke a major rule by re-registering under a different name.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    Because YOU were trying to use HVAC-Talk to support your lawsuit, and that is a non-no..

And now you broke a major rule by re-registering under a different name.
    What a dork.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    some people just don't get it I miss seaton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in