Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New compressor but no filter drier?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    some people just don't get it I miss seaton
    We all miss seaton.....well, maybe not everyone.

unfortunetly, he has gone to that big flame-war forum in the sky....

Note: by that comment, I meant he is banned, not dead.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Would you put a drier there if unit was in attic?

Or will the <110° degree heat drive moisture back in system
    if the drier was in the attic and did a compressor replacement I would replace the drier , geez how long does it take to sand the pipe cut the drier out and weld a new one in

Post Likes
    The warmer the temperature where the drier is installed (attic), the lower its water capacity will be. It won't release moisture back into the system....it just won't have the capacity to remove as much in the warmer temperature.

Ideally the sight glass would be located near the inlet of the TEV, as this is where a full column of liquid is needed. Not practical if the sightglass is used for charging. Every now and then, marginal subcooling combined with excessive pressure drop resulting from a liquid line run into the attic of a 2 story home/building, what is seen as a clear sightglass at the unit turns into a flashing liquid supply to the TEV.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Would you put a drier there if unit was in attic?

Or will the <110° degree heat drive moisture back in system
    once the moisture is absorbed by the molecular sieve beads it is not released , ever...

the filter should be changed and changed and changed , until the system is totally contaminate free...

In my own experience the media my need to be changed as many as 5 times (ike!) and putting a filter in without the intention of checking and replacing it once it has absorbed and effectively filtered the particles and moisture is no worse than not having one installed in the first place..
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Winn View Post
    Hello all,
    I just had a new compressor put in my five ton Carrier Infinity. Gentleman came out and fixed it fast. I was not home when he came so didn't see him work. I was sitting down to do a review and decided to go outside and look over his handy work and noticed that he didn't replace the original filter dryer on the system. Unless things have changed, my dad as an ac man and never changed a compressor or condenser unit without a new filter drier. I thought I would ask here to see "what the norm" is before calling him or placing my review.
    Thanks,

John
    hold them to their warranty and place emphasis on your concerns.
    ask for a different tech and ask to have a enforcement plan in place for coming back and replacing the filter as needed. and insist on an extended labor warranty if they try to dodge your questions.

this is a common occurrence in the ac/r industry , alot of techs know the importance of the filter driers and their correct usage but in the rush of completing the job in a timely manner it is sometimes over looked or just neglected .

call the company and ask to speak to the service manager and tell him/her your concerns.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    We all miss seaton.....well, maybe not everyone.

unfortunetly, he has gone to that big flame-war forum in the sky....

Note: by that comment, I meant he is banned, not dead.
    thanks for clearing that up .... i was thinking it through .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shamgar View Post
    Shouldn't the suction line filter be replaced within 24 hours of the initial installation of said filter?
    no! , not necessarily i usually let it run for a week then return to check it over and see how the filter/dryer looks .... also there are different types of filter/dryers but their behaviors are the same remove ( capture, absorb) moisture and particles in the system. and they should always be changed because like a sponge they can only do their job to certain capacity.
    Last edited by jeremyhall.tech.sc; 10-08-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: amended for clarification

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhall.tech.sc View Post
    once the moisture is absorbed by the molecular sieve beads it is not released , ever...

the filter should be changed and changed and changed , until the system is totally contaminate free...

In my own experience the media my need to be changed as many as 5 times (ike!) and putting a filter in without the intention of checking and replacing it once it has absorbed and effectively filtered the particles and moisture is no worse than not having one installed in the first place..
    A sponge will absorb moisture. Dessicants will adsorb moisture....quite a different process. The moisture is removed molecularly, and held to the surface of the dessicant by a weak chemical bond.

It is an inaccurate statement to say that molecular sieve will never release moisture. Every filter-drier core goes through an activation process prior to completion of the manufacturing process. This process has the cores placed in an oven at an elevated temperature to drive out the moisture the sieve adsorbed during its time exposed to the atmosphere.

Also, when the filter-drier sees a temperature increase in a working system, its water capacity will be reduced. So, if the filter-drier had adsorbed enough water at 70F such that it was near its rated water capacity, a temperature increase would cause the excess moisture above the filter-drier's new (and lower) water capacity to be released back into the system.

Likewise, when the filter-drier experiences a temperature drop (during the night, for example) it will remove some of that water that was previously released back into the system.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    A sponge will absorb moisture. Dessicants will adsorb moisture....quite a different process. The moisture is removed molecularly, and held to the surface of the dessicant by a weak chemical bond.

It is an inaccurate statement to say that molecular sieve will never release moisture. Every filter-drier core goes through an activation process prior to completion of the manufacturing process. This process has the cores placed in an oven at an elevated temperature to drive out the moisture the sieve adsorbed during its time exposed to the atmosphere.

Also, when the filter-drier sees a temperature increase in a working system, its water capacity will be reduced. So, if the filter-drier had adsorbed enough water at 70F such that it was near its rated water capacity, a temperature increase would cause the excess moisture above the filter-drier's new (and lower) water capacity to be released back into the system.

Likewise, when the filter-drier experiences a temperature drop (during the night, for example) it will remove some of that water that was previously released back into the system.
    im going to politely disagree until you show my the error of my logic.

do you have a link or supporting study to support your argument?

i understand that you took the sponge example literally and that would be correct it is chemical, however my point was that a filter/dryer has its limitations...

Post Likes

Red face

sorry bunny you are correct! i found this http://books.google.com/books?id=n5-...page&q&f=false

Post Likes
    I just replaced a compessor on an approximately10yr old 6 ton split AC unit last week. It had the factory LL filter installed inside the CU, but another LL filter installed outside the CU. Based on your very informative description, would this second filter have helped the system or have been detrimental?

Post Likes
    4 more posts and I might have an opinion.

Post Likes
    I'd say a 10 year old filter-drier ought to be removed, and two liquid filter-driers isn't a good idea....extra pressure drop.

Mfgs don't make it convenient to change their factory installed filter-driers, given their location upstream of the liquid shutoff valve...hence they don't get changed when they should.

Post Likes
    I'd say a 10 year old filter-drier ought to be removed, and two liquid filter-driers isn't a good idea....extra pressure drop.

Mfgs don't make it convenient to change their factory installed filter-driers, given their location upstream of the liquid shutoff valve...hence they don't get changed when they should.
    I would cut out both drier and put one in the liquid line outside the unit . on the factory driers that are hard to get to I usually put a piece of pipe in the unit and install the drier outside .

Post Likes
    As some have stated, always change the filter drier if the system has been opened. Yes, a filter will release moisture with too much heat. This is the reason for cutting out, not sweating out a drier to replace it.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Post Likes
    that is a golden rule open system = new filter drier i would call company back and ask them y and see what they say

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in