Let me say first off that this is an outstanding source of information for newbs such as myself. Thanks to all for sharing.

I need some advice/ideas. Im about to endeavor on one of those horror stories, replacing a bunch of plaster and lath. Since Im going to have the walls torn apart I was thinking about getting the ductwork rerouted and adding central air. My current furnace is a Patco model 0-140-B which I have been unable to find any information on. The back half of the house was an addition done in the early 80s and from the looks of things was done on a very tight budget. I want to replace all of the flex in the basement and at the same time get some ductwork run to my bedroom. I like it cold when I sleep but 50 is pushing it. I have already installed new windows and added insulation to meet DOE recommended R-Values. Im going to try and get the contractor that normally services the furnace over this week but theres no such thing as too much information. I have been looking at the ThermoPride ThermoPack units but I havent been able to find any consumer reviews or comments. Does anyone have experience or personal knowledge on these units theyd be willing to share? The other option is leave the furnace alone and add a central air unit. I realize there are a lot of variables to consider here but Im asking opinions from those of you that deal with it on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

thermopride makes a realy good oil furnace. never seen an a/c by them in use. seen the factory models thay look ok. i would concider the age of the current furnace, efficency, reliability, cost of operation.

http://www.spacepak.com/

Would help if you could send some pics. Make sure and send one of the entire house even if you have to stand across the street to take it.

There wasn't one single spelling error in your post. You must be an Analytical. Analyticals tend to take their time in decision making to be sure they make the "right" decision. No one likes to be wrong but it pains the Analytical even more than the other social styles.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.