Hello,

I recently had a Trane dual heat system installed, specifically a XL14 Heat pump and a XV80 Variable gas furn. The installer set the system up so that the gas would cut on when outside temp fell below 38 degrees.

After a few days, I noticed that the gas would be on well above the 38 degrees...once when it was 50 outside. I called my installer and he said that the gas would turn on if I adjusted the thermostat more than two degrees at a time. I thought that must be it, because I noticed this happened when the thermostat was first adjusted in the morning.

However, have recently noticed that the gas sometimes cuts on in the middle of a heating cycle, even if I adjust the thermostat only two degrees. The last time this happened was yesterday...outside temp was 43 degrees.

Is the above normal? Can the system be adusted so gas doesn't kick in unless I adjust the thermostat more than 3 degrees?

Thanks for your help.

Carey

I am just guessing,but I would say yes.
    What thermostat do you have?

Originally posted by halffull
    Hello,

Can the system be adusted so gas doesn't kick in unless I adjust the thermostat more than 3 degrees?

Carey
    probably not.
    sounds like the heatpump is not keeping up at 43 degree-falling 2 degree below setpoint and kicking on the gas.

Originally posted by jacob perkins
    I am just guessing,but I would say yes.
    What thermostat do you have?
    A Robertshaw 9420.

Then you must have a dual fuel kit. Trane's plus103 kit can't lock out gas backup as I recall. So if 2nd stage calls, you get gas even in mild weather. Too bad for the bucks you spend you didn't get something high tech like the Vision Pro from Honeywell or White-Rodgers top stat.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Then you must have a dual fuel kit. Trane's plus103 kit can't lock out gas backup as I recall. So if 2nd stage calls, you get gas even in mild weather. Too bad for the bucks you spend you didn't get something high tech like the Vision Pro from Honeywell or White-Rodgers top stat.
    Yes...my invoice indicates dual fuel. Do you advise getting a differenct thermostat installed? If so, how much of a job is it?

Thanks for your help.

TAYSTAT250 wired properly will provide restricted operations. It's in the TAYPLUS installation instructions. I had it on my DF Trane setup. Removed it when I installed a Thermidistat. No more pulling a panel to adjust my lockout temperature.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

To put in restricted mode, yank W at the stat so 2nd stage can't call for anything?

Could also be that the hp is going into defrost and the furnace is tempering the air and then finishing out the call for heat when hp is done defrosting.

The gas should run whenever the unit is in defrost......i didnt think about that!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    The gas should run whenever the unit is in defrost......i didnt think about that!
    Hi,

Not sure I understand, "unit is in defrost".

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to be aware of?

BTW...just finished reading my thermostat documentation and changed what they called "second stage delay" from the factory default of 20 minutes to 35 minutes. Evidently, 2nd stage kicks in if there is not a one degree movement in temperature within the time set (formally 20 minutes). I was thinking that since I keep it at 66-67 degrees at night, the first thing in the morning it might take more than 20 minutes for a 1 degree movement...hence a new setting of 35 minutes. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Ice can form on the outside unit during heating mode, so periodically it has to go into ac mode to heat up the coils and melt the ice. See http://home.howstuffworks.com/question49.htm for more info.

Call the contractor back (Warrenty)
    Have him check the outdoor stat, and have him explain exactly what the HP is exactly supposed to do to you. The guys here are al right, it could be many things. I go to atleast 4 calls a day and explain to customers how their "New" Heat Pump works, and these are from other companys, mind you. Because their contractor left them High and dry. Shoot, 80% of the time, the outdoor stat isnt even wired in corretly. But thats from experiance. It could be a dual fuel problem or it isnt programed right and it's reseting its self back to factory constently. I dont know, but call them back, and make them help you.