Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: makeup air

makeup air

Hi,
    We need makeup air units of 2500 cfm, 12 tons with 100% outside air, no heating. Can you refer a product.

Can I use a standard rooftop unit (+/- 15% OA) as a makeup air (100% OA)? The supply air temperature must be under 75F.

Thanks
    Alex

check Reznor
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Greenheck, Captiveair are two others.

you will have to have one custom designed. i believe heatcraft will do that but wont be cheap

also look at applied air smu models

There are some flaws already in your design. If you are wanting to bring in 100% osa and there is 12 tons of cooling, 2500 cfm is not enough air moving across your evaporator. No you can not use a std. rooftop unit , damage will eventually occur to the compressors. I do a lot of make up air jobs. Mfgs that come to mind are Reznor, Greenheck, Semco, AAon just to name a few. Most makeup unit have enthalpy controls , reheat coils , ervs, etc. The quantity of osa is determined by the ventilation requirements and the quality of air needed in the space.Exhaust will also be needed. Heating will more than likely be needed with reheat coils to help control humidity. Osa systems can become complicated in a hurry do to the constant changing conditions of the outdoor enviroment. Unless you are very good with psychrometrics, I would recommend consulting with a mechanical engineer.

You can use an insulated bypass curb on a roof top unit to allow a standard roof top unit to provide higher than normal outside air requirements while recirculating enough air (before it can get to the space) to maintain +-80 deg F mixed air temp (This is key to making this work). The unit fan supplies say 4000 CFM at 55 deg F and 1500 CFM at 55 deg F runs through the bypass while 2500 goes on to the space and is made up by 2500 CFM of outside air at say 95 deg F that mixes with the 1500 CFM of 55 deg F bypass air which gives a 80 deg F mixed air. Lennox, amoung others, can do this arrangement. It is inefficient using more fan power than required for the room, but a cheaper unit can be used. The problem is, if you raise your discharge temp from 55 deg to 75 deg, you will need much more total air, 9000 CFM total air, 6500 CFM bypass air at 75 deg F to bring 2500 at 95 deg down to 80 degrees mixed. Outside of the range of the 12 ton unit fans I believe.

If you need that 75 deg F discharge temp, or want a more efficient/better method consider Valent, Innovent, Greenheck, or Semco these all make decent 100% OA units. Trane has a new line of 100% MUA units that look pretty nice as well.

You can't use Heat Recovery?

You must have 100% OA? Why? What is your application
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

makeup air

We use Daikin cassettes for cooling and makeup air units at 100% OA for ventilation. No recirculation (exhaust from washrooms). A mechanical eng. told me to use the rule of thumb of 200cfm/ton.

Can somebody tell me why I can't use a standard rooftop. Why this would damage the compressors as mentionned in the previous thread?

This is in the South and no heating is required (no heat recovery)

rtu 100% OA

Hi,

Can someone explain me why I can't use a standard roof top unit as a makeup air with 100% outside air. Why this can damage the compressor?

Thanks for your help
    Alex

i guess the first thing i think of is why? i hate to answer a question with a question but what are you trying to accomplish? what are you trying to do?

We use Daikin cassettes for cooling and makeup air units at 100% OA for ventilation. No recirculation (exhaust from washrooms). A mechanical eng. told me to use the rule of thumb of 200cfm/ton.

Makeup air units must be 2500 cfm / 12 tons. Supply air temperature must be under 75F.

This is in the South and no heating is required (no heat recovery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast