Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Acid Neutralizer

I have to replace a blown compressor on a Carrier 38 AK007 unit next week. After the flush and installing both liquid line\suction filters, is there a acid nutralizer that is needed or required to be added with the refrigerant? I dont have any, never heard of it, and didnt plan on using any. Someone asked me this question today and now has me wondering.

wouldnt hurt. Acid a Way is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by basshound71 View Post
    wouldnt hurt. Acid a Way is what I use
    Thank you for the quick responce. I just researched AaW. What is the negative of using these product's? I dont use leak sealers' etc. Most are witches brew additions that mask a real problem, IMHO. This product, I'm not so sure about the negative connotations. I'm thinking, with such a small amount of this product, what can it hurt? When I go back and pull the suction line filter after a couple of day's I sometimes flush the system again if the acid detector indicates a small amount of acid still in the system. If this saves a 3rd pulldown, it would be awsome.

All it is is oil with a neutrilizing agent. Works well, been using it for years

Speaking from a checmical standpoint, when you "neutralize" an acid, you do so by adding a base or alkyline chemical to it.

A few things about this.

1> There must be a correct amount of alkyline added to neutralize the acid. If not, the system remains acidic OR it can go to an alkyline if you add too much.

2> Once the Acid/base reaction is done, the chemical byproducts of that reaction are WATER and metal salt.

Do you really want that crap in your system?

Didn't think so.

I have never had a problem after using Acid-a-way. I have gone back and checked with a test strip, no acid present. I use it whenever I change a compressor or component in a system where I suspect acid.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Acid Away used to state in their application instructions that the product was to be used as a supplement to the proven method of removing acid (use of a liquid and suction filter-drier). I could not find this verbiage anywhere in the current literature.

They state that they have tested the product with a wide variety of compressors. I doubt there are any compressors who have approved it's use.

As JP stated, AAw produces byproducts that remain in the system. Whether these byproducts can be traced to be the cause of further system problems....hard to say.

I'm kind of a purist in my belief that only refrigerant and oil belong in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Speaking from a checmical standpoint, when you "neutralize" an acid, you do so by adding a base or alkyline chemical to it.

A few things about this.

1> There must be a correct amount of alkyline added to neutralize the acid. If not, the system remains acidic OR it can go to an alkyline if you add too much.

2> Once the Acid/base reaction is done, the chemical byproducts of that reaction are WATER and metal salt.

Didn't think so.
    I totally agree with this statement!! new compressor new clean oil and a flush of the system can always be done before installing the new compressor.

Thumbs up Great

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

A few things about this.

Didn't think so.
    response

There has never been a need to do anything more than replace the liquid line drier and add a suction line drier for a burnout, period. No flushing chemicals, no additives. Every compressor manufacturer has written this into their change out procedures. I use to have the pdf from Copeland that states that they have never seen a system that has not been thoroughly cleaned by this method. Maybe someone here can post this.

Here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guy's for the info. My only question is, why not flush the system after a burn out? I've never replaced a burnt compresor without flushing the system. But, hey, That's how I learn. From people who have been there and done that like the people here. If it saves time and money and is correct, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post

They state that they have tested the product with a wide variety of compressors. I doubt there are any compressors who have approved it's use.

system.
    You would be WRONG, Trane recommends it!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast