Thread: atmospheric vv power vent water heater

Post Likes

Hmm

I have learned a lot from the craftsmen on this site, and am close to making a decision on a new furnace. One other concern I have is whether to replace my current 13 year old hot water tank with a power vent model, such as a State or AO Smith, to allieviate any potential problems with an atmospheric venting model not venting correctly through a five inch double walled metal exhaust pipe currently being shared with my 80% furnace. I was told by one plumber, however, that the power vent tanks do not have a great recovery capability, and due to the temp of the incoming water in Upstate NY, it makes the recovery slow after a few showers, etc. Is this true? Or will I be OK with venting a new atmospheric tank in the current five exhaust pipe?

Post Likes
    5" b vent up thru house should be ok. have installer check on venting chart.

Post Likes
    The pipe sounds too small for natural draft furnace and natural draft water heater. Venting tables will tell the whole story.

Post Likes
    Power vent water heaters are availible in the same recorvy rates as natural drat water heaters.

So your plumber is not up to date on water heaters.

Post Likes

go tankless

You should look into a wall-hung tankless on-demand water heater. Upfront expense is worth the pay-off in unlimited hot water. Do some research here http://www.pmmag.com/CDA
    ...SHEEESH!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in