Hello,

I know very little about heat pumps so would like to ask some advice before I call out a engineer to fix my problem.

I have a CPLE24-1C Goodman 10 Seer 2-Ton heat pump.
    When the temperature drops one degree below the set temperature - cold air is blown through the vents.
    Then when it drops another degree the auxiliary light on the thermostat comes on and heat is provided until the set point is reached.

So two questions really:

1) Does anyone know why cold air is being blown through on the primary level of heat?

2) Whilst waiting for the repair - which is the more economical setting to run - the current setting - or set it to the emergency heating method (compressor off with auxiliary heat)?

Many thanks for any help.

Sammie

1.) something has happened that the heat pump is no longer providing heat.

2.) If the heat pump is not heating then set the stat to emergency until it can be looked at by a qualified service technician. This might eliminate the possibility of doing further damage to the heat pump.

You can check to see if the outside unit is working. If not check your breakers and make sure the kids didn't pull out the disconnect.

If all else fails put tstat on Em Heat and call for service.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Thank you very much for your replies and help. I will call an engineer out ASAP. I believe it is low on coolant because I am not having a problem with the fans outside or the unit kicking on when it is in heat pump mode, it is just blowing out cool air that drops the temp in the house and makes the auxillary heat have to kick on.

Call an engineer? NO! Call a technician.

If the outdoor unit is operational and you are getting "cold" air, ie; lower temperature then rooom temperature, you either have a leak in the return system in an uncondtioned area or the heat pump reversing valve is not operating properly.

Either way; call in a professional technician.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I apologize for using the word engineer in the place of technician, that is what I meant. I do thank you very much for your help.

First, you would have to define cold. What is cold. Heat pumps operate at much cooler temps than say fossil fuel or electric heat. If your use to having another form of heat and this is your first time using a heat pump then perhaps your just not use to the way it operates. Play is safe and call a tech to come out and look at it for you. In the meantime you can just use the emergency heat. It may not be the most economical as far as energy consumtion but if there is something wrong with that heat pump why use it and risk further damage that will cost you more in the long run.

Dave in NJ

Originally posted by smadave
    First, you would have to define cold. What is cold. Heat pumps operate at much cooler temps than say fossil fuel or electric heat. If your use to having another form of heat and this is your first time using a heat pump then perhaps your just not use to the way it operates. Play is safe and call a tech to come out and look at it for you. In the meantime you can just use the emergency heat. It may not be the most economical as far as energy consumtion but if there is something wrong with that heat pump why use it and risk further damage that will cost you more in the long run.

Dave in NJ
    Very good advice for HOs. So many times the term "cold" is not appropriatley being used. After all, "cold" is a relative term.

That's interesting - I didn't think about the fact that this is a different type of heat that I'm used to.

Anyway to clarify - when the room temperature drops below 1 degree of set point, "cold" air is blown through the vents. The room temperature always at this point drops until the auxiliary heat comes on (2 degrees below set point). Only then does the room temperature rise to the set point.

Basically the room temperature is never maintained or risen when the first level of heat is operational so I'm assuming from this that the heat pump is not working correcting. I shall call a technician - thanks for the advice.

Really does sound like the reversing valve is not switchng over to heat mode. Call the tech, then check to see if the air coming out of the outdoor unit is warmer then the outdoor temperatures. If so, let the technician know that the heat pump is in cooling mode.