+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice machine woes

Post Likes

Ice machine woes

I have a manitowoc km-630 maf unit. It was unused for about a year and relocated. Upon firing the unit up, the potential relay clicks and stops and tries a few times. Run and start caps are good. The unit won't fire. I bought a hard start kit but I'm reluctant to use it because the setup already uses a hard start type setup. Any ideas what could be causing the compressor not to fire? I have checked everything. The only questionable part is pot relay. It's clicking. I'm thinking the compressor is locked up. Any advice?

Post Likes
    thats a hoshi number

Post Likes
    A KM-630 is a Hoshizaki crescent cube ice machine. If your relay is clicking, what is the amp draw? Are you sure the starting components are good? If so, compressor may be locked up. Replace the compressor.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    A KM-630 is a Hoshizaki crescent cube ice machine. If your relay is clicking, what is the amp draw? Are you sure the starting components are good? If so, compressor may be locked up. Replace the compressor.
    Is it wired up to the correct voltage?

Post Likes
    Check the compressor windings

Post Likes
    Take a simple amp reading of the three wires going to the compressor, it will tell you a lot if interpreted correctly.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, it was a very frustrating night so yes, a convenient brainfart on my behalf. Yes it's a hoshi. Don't know what I was thinking. The compressor is shot. I pulled some of the refrigerant out and tapped on it as well as adding the hard start kit on top of factory stuff. It kicked on for about a second then slowed to a halt within another second or two. I wish I knew how the heck it got roasted from sitting for a year. It worked perfect before it was shut down. But it's become a parts machine now. Thanks alot for the thoughts. I'll try to return the favor sometime!

Post Likes
    Three post and you are posting the same link over and over.... this is what we call Spam.

If you continue to post like this we will discontinue your account.

thx

Dad
    Last edited by Dad; 08-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_scheel View Post
    Is it wired up to the correct voltage?
    my first thought as well

Post Likes
    I had a similar situation twice in my career that I can think of. The first time it happened the problem turned out to be low voltage. The second time it happened to me I replaced the relay and start components and still would not start. I new the compressor was not locked because it would shake at start up. It was a K body on springs. So what I did was, I measured the pickup voltage and picked up a Steveco relay that matched my measured pick up voltage and the compressor started up and ran fine.

Post Likes

HoshizakiIce.com Name Change to BuyIceMachines.com

Three post and you are posting the same link over and over.... this is what we call Spam.

If you continue to post like this we will discontinue your account.

thx

Dad
    Last edited by Dad; 08-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in