I thought some people might find this story interesting.

Seattle has quite a few houseboats. These used to be very cheap ways to live, but now they are VERY expensive, since mooring space is limited.

They are houses built on floats, moored together on docks sticking out onto Seattle's Lake Union. You may have seen an example in the movie "Sleepless in Seattle."

I was doing repairs on a gas fireplace in one of these homes, and had occasion to discuss the heating system. It seems they used a heat pump, taking water from the lake under the house and returning the water to the lake.

Since it's VERY rare for ice to form on the lake, I'll bet this works pretty well.

I thought it was interesting.

Seattle Pioneer

I remember reading something a long time ago about a "Waterfurnace" on a presidential yacht
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

We've got a guy around here with a boat that has a water cooled ac only using the lake water. A buddy of mine worked on it and told me about it.

I agree I find that stuff really interesting as well.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I've installed a water source in a floating home, very efficient and simple you just need to tie a pump in with the compressor contactor for the water. I used a low head submersible well pump for quiet operation, doesn't need primed and takes no space in the home.

1200 ton system in operation since 1982 up here

A seawater heat exchanger system has been in continuous operation up in Vancouver, BC since 1982 at the Canada Place Building, serving 1200 tons worth of chilled water plant. Many floating homes moored in the Fraser River and in the Okanagan lake area use closed loop "geo-exchange" loop systems for water to water, or water to air heat pumps. Geo pipes don't necessarily need to be immersed in dirt to work, as long as the system is designed properly.