Trane TSC090A3R0A1XA00003000000

I'm here on temp. duty and am working on a Trane unit that is constantly freezing up. The unit was poorly cared for by the previous tenants. Just have a few questions.
    According to the unit manual, digit 9 of the model number indicates the unit had a ReliaTel Microprocessor. I say "had" because it was removed by a previous individual and never replaced. The unit does run but freezes up. With the Microprocessor missing, how much will this affect unit performance?
    Also digit 22 of the model number indicates the unit has a Standard Refrigeration Coil with no expansion valve. Does this mean the unit has an orfice to meter the gas? If not, how is the refrigerant metered through the evap? Digit 23 indicates No Refrigeration Control.
    Thanks

orifices are in

Quote Originally Posted by domer View Post
    I'm here on temp. duty and am working on a Trane unit that is constantly freezing up. The unit was poorly cared for by the previous tenants. Just have a few questions.
    According to the unit manual, digit 9 of the model number indicates the unit had a ReliaTel Microprocessor. I say "had" because it was removed by a previous individual and never replaced. The unit does run but freezes up. With the Microprocessor missing, how much will this affect unit performance?
    Also digit 22 of the model number indicates the unit has a Standard Refrigeration Coil with no expansion valve. Does this mean the unit has an orfice to meter the gas? If not, how is the refrigerant metered through the evap? Digit 23 indicates No Refrigeration Control.
    Thanks
    the distribution header for the coil.

When does it freeze up?

If the board is removed how is it wired?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    the distribution header for the coil.

When does it freeze up?

If the board is removed how is it wired?
    I immediately noticed frost building up on the suction line of the compressor. The line gets very cold very quickly.
    Looks like everything is bypassed or disconnected. Unit is running with a 4 wire t-stat, by the way its a Carrier thermostat.(again not my doing) The R terminal of the stat is powered from a 24 volt transformer. The G terminal is connected to the coil of the evaporator motor. The Y terminal is connected to the coil of the compressor contactor. The C terminal is connected to the common side of the transformer. The wires/wire harnesses that were connected to the ReliaTel Microprocessor are basically just hanging there disconnected.
    One more thing, the inlet or return section and supply or outlet of the unit has been retroffited to accomodate 10 or 12 flexible duct work. Could this also be the culprit?

Sounds like a hack job and if poorly serviced and maintained alot of problems and money.Also the fact that they choked it down is restricting the airflow.I also bet your evap and condenser coils are clogged and dirty.If not hacked in they just didnt want to spend money to replace and given a temp fix.Good luck
    Phillips Mechanical LLC
    High Quality Service & Customer Satisfaction
    www.phillipsmechanicalllc.com

Sounds like a disaster.

Have you taken any readings beyond
    The line gets very cold very quickly.
    Start by measuring airflow and verifying that the airflow is correct. Then move to the refrigeration circuit.

Sounds like someone had NO IDEA what they were doing. No PROFESSIONAL would hack a system in that manner to save the customer money. That's really a damn shame to be honest ! Maybe on a Saturday or Sunday as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Sounds like a disaster.

Have you taken any readings beyond

Start by measuring airflow and verifying that the airflow is correct. Then move to the refrigeration circuit.
    Tools, parts, and equipment are very very limited out here and hard to come by. Currently out of the U.S on temp duty. I will definitely see what I can come up with.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meh70087 View Post
    Sounds like someone had NO IDEA what they were doing. No PROFESSIONAL would hack a system in that manner to save the customer money. That's really a damn shame to be honest ! Maybe on a Saturday or Sunday as a last resort.
    I totally agree. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first took a look at the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by silkysean View Post
    Sounds like a hack job and if poorly serviced and maintained alot of problems and money.Also the fact that they choked it down is restricting the airflow.I also bet your evap and condenser coils are clogged and dirty.If not hacked in they just didnt want to spend money to replace and given a temp fix.Good luck
    Terrible hack job is correct. I perfomed a thorough cleaning of the the evap and the condensor coil. Changed the belt and filters.
    I will mess with it some more on Monday.
    Thanks