New HVAC system

Thread: New HVAC system

I recently came back from pretty long vacation and found that my HVAC system had died (York Stellar). As per the technician, it was advice to replace the 11 yr old unit.

I did not have much time nor did not have enough knowledger or experiecnce in HVAC system and also this is my first home that I purchased 1 year ago.

I just went with the 1st recommened system that was within my budget. I paid XXX for Ducane 80% efficiency system.
    New unit was installed 15 days back.

I have few questions regarding this

1. How is Ducane system, wast it good/ok choice considering the cost and lack o time it had ?
    2. What are the common problem with this particualar product?
    3. for Past few days at night I hearing popping/banging noise all over the house as soon as the unit stops. Why, Is there anything wrong with installed or is it usual

Appreciate you response.

EDIT: Pricing removed. Please don't post pricing. Thx. mod01

[Edited by Mod01 on 12-31-2005 at 01:19 PM]

Senior Tech Guest
    Home Owners - no pricing questions please

Only people who actually see your job can price it. Also, this is a site to promote the learning of HVAC technical knowledge and as such, questions of the type "$5,000 for a XXX system, is this a good price?" do not fit in with the theme of the site. Home owners, do NOT post prices.

Posts of this type will be deleted.

I apologize for my pricing questions.

WOuld appreciate response to my other technical questions and poping/banging noise after heater stops.

Originally posted by illinois
    I recently came back from pretty long vacation and found that my HVAC system had died (York Stellar). As per the technician, it was advice to replace the 11 yr old unit.

I did not have much time nor did not have enough knowledger or experiecnce in HVAC system and also this is my first home that I purchased 1 year ago.

I just went with the 1st recommened system that was within my budget. I paid XXX for Ducane 80% efficiency system.
    New unit was installed 15 days back.

I have few questions regarding this

1. How is Ducane system, wast it good/ok choice considering the cost and lack o time it had ?

OK system

2. What are the common problem with this particualar product?

Shouldn’t have any particular problem if it was installed properly

3. for Past few days at night I hearing popping/banging noise all over the house as soon as the unit stops. Why, Is there anything wrong with installed or is it usual

Most likely it the ductwork contracting as the fan turns off

[/B]

Your first sign of problems was when he recommended replacing an 11 year old furnace. Why did he recommend replacing it?

replacing an 11 year old system does seem odd but it happens
    Ducane i have installed and seems to be very reliable. the key with any system is the way it is installed.

the banging you hear when it shuts down may be a problem with the unit or just the duct work oil canning from the airflo.

is the unit bigger then the old unit and was the duct work taken into consideration when the unit was replaced

call the installer and have it looked at

The main problem with my 11 yr old unit was, my pipe froze and broke and lot of water went inside the unit and I believe that messed up my entire unit.

Regarding Installation of new unit, it was done by a professional.

My new unit size is smaller than the old one , but BTU is same

Ducane is okay, what possibly may be happening and I have not seen it in a while is on sone brands when the furnace stops the blower momentarily reverses, this may not be the case but would be worth a look. Also as someone else said ductwork expanding and cracking noise when cooling. May not be cross broke.