Last night I noticed a strange smell coming throught the ducts. Best I can describe it's similar to wet wool mittens drying on a radiator. Took a look at the furnace and noticed the blower was not running, althought I could hear a humming apparently coming from the blower motor. I tried to spin the squirrel cage but could only get about a 1/2 rotation or so. This could be due to its awkward location or cause of the problem(s) at hand.

I tried again this morning, after noticing the humming seemed to cycle several time since I first noticed it last night. The motor still feels hot. The unit is a forced air gas Coleman, possibly of late 70's construction.

Tried searching online and here in the forums but not having any luck so far.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

turn off your furnace call a tech
    that motor will not cool down as long as it is "humming"

Shut the unit off, and call for service.

I tripped the furnace breaker. My wife was making calls as I was typing the thread, and now we're just waiting for callbacks.

Senior Tech Guest
    Although it can not be determined without first hand observation and diagnosing it, sounds as though your blower motor is...toast. Given that your current model is late 70's I would have it checked by a qualified technician to make sure repairs are feasible. If you have been thinking about replacement now may be the time to put the plan in action.

I am guessing as to its age, no original date of installation etc.
    If it helps the furnace is a F-A Coleman
    model2632d series:776

We just bought this (our first)house in Sept. 05 so right now, everything is coming as a surprise for us.

Just got a quote with one of the shops here and looking at about XXX time and materials incl.

EDIT: Glad you called a pro. Please don't post prices. Thanks! Mod01

[Edited by Mod01 on 12-31-2005 at 12:33 PM]

Thumbs up

Problem fixed. Motor was toast, and now replaced with new sealed bearing unit. Thanks for the replies.