Confused Water in 80% furnace heatexchanger

I just got back from a no heat call. Furnace is a 1993 Comfortmaker 80%, 150000 btu's. The basement is stone and very moist (mushrooms growing on the dirt floor).
    Furnace flue was very rusty, took the covers off and found a lot of moisture in the vestibule. Took the cover off the burners and found the tubes of the heat-exchanger filled with an 1 1/2" water. I figure it was caused by warm air circulating through the furnace during the summer and condensing in the heat exchanger. Also there is no A/C. I condemned the furnace and recommended replacement. This is the first time I have seen this. Does my theory of how it happened sound right? Also they never ran the blower during the summer.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

We ha plant that has a sludge tower with a steel catwalk that has sludge below it. This building requires heat and the combination of moisture and the constant 45 degree air filledthe heat exchanger with water.

I would guess the basement flooded. Is this rental property? Maybe the tenants didn't want to tell the land lord they flooded the basement some how. Was there any water in the blower?

Maybe you need to adjust the float ...

I ran across this on a rheem furnace 80%

I ran acrossed this with a rheem furnace installed in a apartment building and found that the roof vent cover was off and caused the furnace to fill up part way with water. the furnace fired up and blew flames out the front of the furnace and fried all the controlls.
    Life is to short to sweat the little thing in life!

ggtg

Coworker found this in Sis's Trane 80. We're going to look at it further tonight. It's in a cold, damp dungeon of a room in the lower level. Not sure what the answer is on in installation like this other than try to lower the RH in the room with a BIG dehumidifier.

Nope not a rental. This is my cousins new house. He was in it last winter and did not have a problem. This was my first time at his new house though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    I would guess the basement flooded. Is this rental property? Maybe the tenants didn't want to tell the land lord they flooded the basement some how. Was there any water in the blower?
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Dirt floor?

Maybe some kind of vapor/moisture barrier can be put over it.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"