Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new house has some really big double insulated windows over the tub. Looks great. Only thing is the room feels cold.

House is total electric. What would you suggest to make it warmer? Maybe some kind of supplemental heat?

PS. There are no blinds or curtains on the windows since the windows are opaque. Would this help?

I don't know if that would help or not.

1st thing that comes to mind is a manual J wasn't performed properly and there's not enough heat to make up for the loss in that room.

But even if it was designed right, if you're close to the windows and the register isn't (which is likely the case) then there's not a heck of a lot a poor register can do.

Perhaps you could install a small cove heater above the window?

Electric Heater

Broan makes a very nice elctric heater for wall installation.

The only problem is that it requires a dedicated electrical wiring just for the heater bc this heater consumes up to 1500 W and should not be tapped into an existing circuit.

I have it, nice to use and mkaes the bathroom warm when taking a shower.

cn

One method of gaining heat in an application as yours is, gain access behind and alongside of your tub. Run pex tube in the cavity or some fin tube. Use a heat exchanger (perhaps required by code) from your domestic water heater to heat the area above. This does pose unique challenges in it self and will cost some money… however it has been done successfully in many instances.

Is this a heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

there are electric toe kick heaters available that can be intalled under your vanity.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

many times an exterior wall behind the tub has not been insulated -- perhaps you could have this foamed -- BUT, carefully -- minimum expanding foam would be needed --

one can change the floor covering & put down insulation, then plywood, then an elec heating mat with temp control, then ceramic tile = NICE. mat not expensive, control is = labor intense

or, just use a 500w portable heater -- on about 1h before showering

is there good crack around the door to allow the conditioned air to circulate = return? if not, consider installing return air grills = say from bath to closet or above door.

since you are not using the windows to see out, blank them off with Styrofoam & a decorative screen -- at least on a temporary basis -- seal cracks between Styrofoam -- then you will know about that loss -- or, remove the windows which have a large heat loss/ gain (unless on north side of house)
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

An electric towel warmer might be an easy way to get extra heat into the bathroom. They also make a ceiling heater to be used where you have a bath exhaust fan. Maybe some infared heat bulbs in high hats over the tub area?

had a combination exhaust,light, nightlight and heater in my last house. 11 x 9 bathroom 2 outside walls. heated up pretty fast while in shower.

West
    Does this happen when your running the exhaust fan? That fan is pulling a lot of warm air out.

Originally posted by johnsp
    An electric towel warmer might be an easy way to get extra heat into the bathroom. They also make a ceiling heater to be used where you have a bath exhaust fan. Maybe some infared heat bulbs in high hats over the tub area?
    A towel warmer could be just the ticket, good idea.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Hi west_seth! If your looking to warm-up your bathroom I know of a company that has a line of heaters called "Bathroom Bliss". If you go to their website you can have a look for yourself, it's http://www.convectair.com
    I hope this helps you, some.

Thorton

PP & illegal to have lights over shower or tub -- esp bare bulbs --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast