Thread: Tempstar

Post Likes

Hmm

I ran across a new Tempstar furnace today, as I was called for an odors complaint. This furnace, mid eff., is about 3 mos. old. I noted cylindrical "baffles" at the beginning of the exchanger - LP gas 2stage- And noted the "baffles" were warped from the heat of the flame. My question is, Is this a new "design"? I would think that if there are baffles, they should be located further in, if not at the end of the heat exchanger, to hold in the heat and not at the beginning where there could be combustion problems. Does anyone know what I am rambling on about? - just curious. Everything else checks o.k. ie: Pressure in/out

Post Likes
    Haven't seen the new ICP's furnace's yet,
    Sounds like your talking about turbulators?
    Are they white in color about 6" long and twisted like?
    Alot of the choo choo's gas packs have them.

Post Likes
    Well, they are about 6-8 inches long, stainless?, tube/cylindrical with holes. I guess turbulators sounds good, but not sure the purpose of it. I am no engineer, but I think the location of them would hinder combustion/efficiency. I have not seen this setup in any other units, and am wondering if this would cause the odors of "exhaust smell" as the customer puts it. No CO found though. It is an intermitant problem

Post Likes
    I'm no engineer either,
    I believe they use the turbulators to swirl the incoming flame much like in a turbo torch for example to get a hotter flame, possibly better combustion.
    I'm sure someone will come along with a for sure on that.

[Edited by rtu on 12-30-2005 at 08:31 PM]

Post Likes

nox elements

did you check the heat exchangers close? when those change shape they can impinge the flame to where it bears right onto hx.i yank them out unless they are the white fiber type as the other problem is that the metal decaying in the flame produces "dust" that causes intermittant failures in the air switch.

Post Likes
    The new Tempstar furnaces have plain old in shot burners just as they have for many years. However it sounds as if you have a Low Nox unit. The inserts, if found on the burner side of the chamber do indeed become very hot. This heat in turn helps to re-burn the products of incomplete combustion.

Post Likes
    stonefly: don't
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Post Likes
    Best way to find out:

#1) Are you in California ?
    #2) Full model and serial number ?

Post Likes
    check with the tempstar supplier, most that I have installed in the past the conversion instructions said to take the tubulators out, but check first, they warp because of the heat produced from lp gas

Post Likes
    Originally posted by whitesheatcool
    I ran across a new Tempstar furnace today, I noted cylindrical "baffles" at the beginning of the exchanger
    Old style "Twist" Nox, diagram "EE"

New style "Perf" Nox, diagram "circle"

LP gas 2stage- And noted the "baffles" were warped from the heat of the flame.
    WARNING!!!

My question is, Is this a new "design"?
    Nope, it's been out for quite some time... California emissions requirements.

I would think that if there are baffles, they should be located further in,
    Nope, they heat up and act as a catalytic converter. Aiding in the combustion process, lowing the overall CO emissions.

This should pretty well clear this matter up, Eh?

Post Likes
    I would like to thank all of you, especially "Jultzya", for your helpful info. This clears up every question and concern.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in