I am a student about to graduate my hvac school, and its so hard to find a job in the boston, MA area, I am a good worker and smart, can anyone help me out? I would like to get an apprenticeship for a heating and cooling co. If anyone can help me out please do....Thanks.

I found a way that works sometimes is to pick up the yellow pages in your area and go thru a list of hvac and heating/plumbing shops, talk to owners or managers. Sooner or later someone will want you on there team. Also try supply houses in your area talk to some of the counter guys, a lot of them have worked in the field and hear a lot about openings in certain companys.

My advice when doing this keep your wits about you, there are a lot of shady people out there who will work you like a dog a treat you like **** and all the while promise you the world. That is until they realize there is no longer a need for you. Only you know were you want to be in this career, set a goal and then work towards reaching it. If you find yourself in a company that can't take you where you want to be then move on to one that will get there.
    You can't ask for a lot with zero experience but you can ask for a fair wage, a reputable owner/company, to work with people who value integrity and are professional in there actions.

I live in the area so might have some insight to certain places of buisness.

-Samp

It's a crying shame.....

Only you know were you want to be in this career, set a goal and then work towards reaching it. If you find yourself in a company that can't take you where you want to be then move on to one that will get there.

Ya know that's looooong road. Really it is.
    That's the first time in my life I heard it put that
    way. Trouble is most companies don't train you the right
    way because they don't care what the right way is.

I can say I only worked for ONE person who treated me
    the way I wanted to learn. Greed (money) is the root to all
    evil.

Theres a co. in the area, I dont really want to mention names in public but the owner offered me $9 dollars an hour, no benefits, and health after 1 yr of work, I wanted to laugh but I kept it to myself, I really want to get started somewhere but not for a wage like that, he wants to get rich off of me. He even called me a week later and asked me if I made a decision yet? What should I do ? should I call him and tell him I cant work for 9 an hour ??

Don't do it.

He's desperate. Health Insurance after a year?!!!
    Don't call him at all. He'll drive you crazy,TRUST me.

Well Asilva,

Going rate for an unexperienced helper in Boston area is around $12 hr. If anyone offers you less tell them that you could work at Home Depot or Target for more. Unless they are willing to bump you up for more in 90 days or something. Stick to your guns just because you have no experience doesn't mean you should accept less than a liveable wage or some sort of bennies. When I started in the field I actually had a guy I interviewed with try and tell me with a straight face that any hours over forty when on call wasn't considered overtime because it was an emergency service. LOL, its not my emergency! He then made a statement during the interview that it was getting harder and harder to find good quality help, gee I wonder why.
    This is a trade and you have to pay your dues yes but it is work just like any other profession. Look for shops with at least a few licensed journeymen on staff, don't work for anyone who wants to I9 you. Basic bennes to look for besides $$ hourly would be direct deposit, a weeks vacatation, some health after a 90 day probation period, and someone who will make you a registered apprientice with the sate.

Good luck,
    Sampo

LOL is right, theres more to this guy too, if I really think back, he swore like a trucker right to me(not at me) he told me he lived in a very high end neighborhood, he mostly hires students from high schools, and he told me he can at best pay me 9 an hr and if im good after a month 10, thereafter 1 dollar raise a yr, I really wanted to laugh at him. This guy has a kid working for him that he hired after high school and he has been w/ him for 6 yrs and makes only 22 an hour. Good pay but after 6 yrs experience im going to make top dollar. I also almost laughed again when he said the insurance is killing him, He was trying to make it seem like he couldnt afford to pay me any more than 9 ..............LOL .....wow some people...huh!

Since you are getting ready to graduate from the program you are presently taking, have you spoken with your teachers about the possibility of helping you make connections?

In the HVAC/R program I teach, we do not offer placement assistance but, with my connections in the industry, 100% of my students (at least this year) are gainfully employed when they graduate.

At the very least, as mentioned earlier in this thread, pick up the yellow pages and make contacts yourself. I personally would be impressed by someone who would take the initiative to make first contact.

Best of luck.

Getting a job/apprenticeship

Hello - i was reading the above thread and was hoping that somone could give me some advice. i will be graduating from HVACR school next month and would like to get an apprenticeship in the boston area.

i currently work for an HVAC company in the neighborhood, but lately we have had no work and most of the time i am picking up trash or lifting boilers out of basements.

i would like to work for a company that will help me get to the point where i can do installs and service and not seen as just be seen as an extra set of hands.

any suggestions as to where i could start?

try glogal mechanical in medford, i heard they are looking

You could try this

Have you ever heard of the JTPA(Jobs in Trianing and Partnership Act 1982)? This is a program that is administered by your state's job service dept.

What this progam does is it pays ,from %50 and up, the apprentice cost including covering the cost of basic handtools. This help the employer to afford an apprentice with out the hassel of having to bill them out.

First goto your local job service people and get signed up for the program. This will take some time because you are dealing with government bullacracy. The program is avalable in every state so find the right person to talk to. Note: Each state call it something different so keep digging.

Talk to the program director at your school, local supply houses, and the BBB, for advice of which company to aproach.
    Make sure that you get the possision that you want, service install, ect.

Next approach that company that you want. tell them about the program and what they will need to do that apply.

I have a service company in northern Colorado and I also teach at a local college. I give my students a chance at service life. I have created a six month program and at the end I offer the student a full time job. This works out well for all.

Good Luck

Entry level job

Call on the managers of a few local HVAC supply houses. Most have a Jobs or Tech needed boards. The manager is your best source of who is good to work for. They know every service tech in town, who they have worked for, type and volume of business they have, etc. Don't be shy, just give them a call and explain your situation and you are looking for work.
    Take whatever wage you can for any type of work in this field. You can't learn this trade working at home depot and you will be wasting your time there. You have understand a business owner has to make money from your labor while you are learning and be competitive. He will not be charging service tech rates or making a hugh profit for your service. Ask yourself why should someone hire you for more money than the high school kid. Basically you both have the same experience. Of course you would advance faster with your training but the employer does not profit from your skills until you learn. Take the $9.00 per hour if that is all you can find, learn and quit if things don't go as fast as you like. You have no obligation to stay
    By the way, insurance is one of the largest company expenses. 17% for workers comp, 3% for general liability. He has to pay 20% of payroll to a insurance company! That doesn't include the SS/Med match to the feds, another 7%. So for every $9.00 he pays you it costs him $12.00 plus any benefits if any, vacations, holiday, etc.

Good Luck, Same catch 22 I had 30 years ago. How do you get a job with no experience, and how do you get the experience without a job!