Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Strange duct system.

Why are two round ducts feeding a trunk line?
    Seattle duct Hodge podge... customer didn't want to pay for a new duct system so we sealed everything up tight and it performs well.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

The facts on CleanEffects.

They clean better than any media filter right at first and after they have a thorough cleaning. But only after a couple weeks the filter performance drops significantly, takes it down below a MERV 13(guestimate).

We installed a lot of them several years ago. We had used almost exclusively Aprilaire media filters up to that point. Every time I would go work on a furnace with the AA, the blower and coils were spotless.

But with the Accuclean (we did Am Std) after only 2 years there was a solid coating of dust on the blower wheel and evap coil. This was not an isolated case, they all did this, including the one in my house.

Bottom line; If the homeowner will do a thorough cleaning every 2 to 4 weeks, they have an awsome filter that does everything the manufacturer claims. If they use the standard 3 month cleaning schedule they would have been better off with a MERV 13 or higher filter. How many people will clean that filter every couple weeks? None, they forget about it just like any other filter.

Is this a 2 PSI system?

STUD

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    The facts on CleanEffects.

They clean better than any media filter right at first and after they have a thorough cleaning. But only after a couple weeks the filter performance drops significantly, takes it down below a MERV 13(guestimate).

We installed a lot of them several years ago. We had used almost exclusively Aprilaire media filters up to that point. Every time I would go work on a furnace with the AA, the blower and coils were spotless.

But with the Accuclean (we did Am Std) after only 2 years there was a solid coating of dust on the blower wheel and evap coil. This was not an isolated case, they all did this, including the one in my house.

Bottom line; If the homeowner will do a thorough cleaning every 2 to 4 weeks, they have an awsome filter that does everything the manufacturer claims. If they use the standard 3 month cleaning schedule they would have been better off with a MERV 13 or higher filter. How many people will clean that filter every couple weeks? None, they forget about it just like any other filter.
    This is the first I have heard of this. I didn't realize that junk actually makes it through the cells when they are dirty, I thought it just shot the static pressure sky high. Next time I have a maintenance on an Clean Effects I will take a look at the blower motor. This is bumming me out... I really don't like selling a customer an expensive air cleaner that requires disposable cartridges, that really turns me off so I don't offer any other premium filters, just a 4" media or Clean Effects. We recently installed a Sunpure (customers request) and did not like the look (notice the thing is upside down... It should have a bi-positional door), or the fact that the media filter and UV bulbs need to be replaced.

I wish there was a perfect premium air cleaner...

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    Is this a 2 PSI system?

STUD
    Yeah but there are only 3 gas appliances in the house

-Alfred E Newman

Why no isolation valves on the Navien?

Quote Originally Posted by onearmsteve View Post
    Why no isolation valves on the Navien?
    Have a closer look...

-Alfred E Newman

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

Not to be to critical, but

why bother with a furnace at all? You could have installed a combi Navien, with a high efficiency air handler and a hot water coil.

Now, I know the following might not have been in your budget, but I would have ripped out most of that ducting, installing the blower coil in the most duct efficient location. It seems from the picture that most of the supply ducting in on the front side of the beam, installing the blower where the water heater was would have allowed the return to stay on one side with the bulk of the supply ducting on the other.

I have found that unless you grossly oversize the return duct to slow the velocity and install turning vanes these high efficiency air cleaners do not work up to snuff. Better to install a separate Hepa.

Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    why bother with a furnace at all? You could have installed a combi Navien, with a high efficiency air handler and a hot water coil.

Now, I know the following might not have been in your budget, but I would have ripped out most of that ducting, installing the blower coil in the most duct efficient location. It seems from the picture that most of the supply ducting in on the front side of the beam, installing the blower where the water heater was would have allowed the return to stay on one side with the bulk of the supply ducting on the other.

I have found that unless you grossly oversize the return duct to slow the velocity and install turning vanes these high efficiency air cleaners do not work up to snuff. Better to install a separate Hepa.
    It would have cost more to do a water coil and for what? The efficiency is no better than the gas furnace. Plus the furnace is modulating so it matches the minuscule heat loss for this tiny little house better than anything else. As for the air cleaner, its better than a 4" media or a kick in the a$$.

-Alfred E Newman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12