Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In that case negotiate a decrease in price based on replacing the furnace, then hire YOUR OWN quality contractor that will install good equipment for you. For example get three QUALITY contractors to bid replacement, then based on the estimates you receive take that off the asking price of the house. You may want to consider a high efficiency heat pump or a 90% furnace. It will be worth the extra money.

DO NOT force the original owners to REPLACE the furnace themselves...they will put in the cheapest junk they can find...who wants to spend money on a house they are dumping?

To sum it up, get the owners to subtract a reasonable amount from their asking price and then hire a good company that will do a good job installing good equipment and high efficiency is worth considering...

Don’t get greedy.

Replacement cost of the HX is one thing.

All new unit is something else.

Its not illegal since you the buyer is aware of the problem. Do you have an Agent? You have the option of asking for new furnace or monetary compensation in your unacceptable condition resolution. If they say no you can break the contract and walk but you only have like 10 days after your inspection. If you don't have a Realtor get on quick, it doesn't cost the buyer anything. The seller pays both Agents commissions. If you walk on the house they have to disclose every thing your inspection found, so you have the upper hand.

Originally posted by me4get
    Real Estate rules require full disclosure, if something is kept from the buyer, they have recourse against the seller and agent.
    I live in Memphis & full disclsure is exactly right. They'll give the seller a form that you have to list anything that you know is wrong with a house. By not listing this, your definitely doing wrong.

One of my techs did a furnace inspection right at closing one time & signed off that everything was safe. About a month later I get a call that its out so I go check & tell them the exchanger is bad. My company put em in a new furnace free for that screw up. I didnt know what would happen if I backed away not doing anything, but I didnt wanna have to deal with lawyers plus I thought it was the right thing to do. The way I see it, if your buying a house & your spending that much money, you deserve to have a safe furnace.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Originally posted by me4get
    Real Estate rules require full disclosure, if something is kept from the buyer, they have recourse against the seller and agent.

If the former owner is aware of the problem. And then try to prove it.

Banks in this area require a home inspection be done.

“ The roof from ground level appears to be fine”

These inspectors are worse then us.

In NY there is a form with several questions that the seller must fill out and sign, or give the buyer $500.00. I chose to give the 500 rather then try to answer questions that couldn’t be honestly answered.

To the OP:

Your getting a used house, Negociate a fair price. As has been stated “Don’t expect them to put any more money in it then they have to”. Take some $ off the sale price for the HX, but be prepared to replace it or get a new system.

Hey Bryan, bet you didn't know your brother-in-law was a regular participant on these boards

The advice here seems good to me, though I'm not in the trade.

The question here is that replacing the HX in this ancient unit may not even be possible as the fellow you had do the inspection said no parts were available right? Is going to a junk yard or welding the thing together worth the effort for a unit this old? The price to replace with a 90% is probably only going to be a couple of grand more than replacing the old one and that will pay for itself over the next few winters and summers easily enough.

I think one thing you were wondering about is whether the sellers insurance would cover it, but again even then you're getting it done by them and getting it paid for by their home owners insurance you're doubly guaranteed to get a sloppy cheap job.

I like the idea of negotiating a reduction in price or a check at closing for some percentage of the estimate for a new furnace. Course, whether they will agree to that is another question entirely!

Let us know what happens,
    James

house

The Health Dept./ Board of Health here N.C. requires that the living areas be heated to 68º. No one could live in the house until the furnace is replaced or retored to safe working order since it has a failed HE. I agree with others about the cost of new verses reapiring existing.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Depends where you live, but generally speaking the crime would be in the hiding or non disclosure. If you know, you have to tell. Legally and morally.

I agree with jared and jack david.
    Now that you know(and the prior owners may have not),renegotiate.Have you gotten a plumbing /electrical/structural inspection too?
    Will be worth it if you really like the home.
    Get estimates for bottom line and upper line equipment and meet them somewhere in the middle.
    never say never

is it legal to sell a house w/ cracked HX?

House Yes,

Furnace No

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12