Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evapco Cooling Tower Sleeve Bearings

I have 4 cooling towers with sleeve bearings on them. Just installed new bearings on the cooling towers. Looking to see if anybody have any suggestions on how to keep the oil from leaking everywhere. I was maybe thinking of making some sort of enclosure for the bearings. Any ideas would be great. thanks!
    RTFM!!!

Wink

Is the leak excessive? is the oil feed rate correct and the wick in good condition? Is the level of oil reservoir dropping at the normal rate? is the bearing clearances correct? Is the bearing and shaft running area uniform? checked with Prussian blue also known as engineer's paste.

From what you are saying it sounds like the leak is excessive causing excess oil to puddle on surfaces. So this should be related to the above.

Maybe the company will hire a wiper. Just throwing in a little humor if you can take a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwater View Post
    Is the leak excessive? is the oil feed rate correct and the wick in good condition? Is the level of oil reservoir dropping at the normal rate? is the bearing clearances correct? Is the bearing and shaft running area uniform? checked with Prussian blue also known as engineer's paste.

From what you are saying it sounds like the leak is excessive causing excess oil to puddle on surfaces. So this should be related to the above.

Maybe the company will hire a wiper. Just throwing in a little humor if you can take a joke.
    Forgot to ask. is that a new wick that is in the kit? looks like one in front of the bottle of oil. Hard to tell though.
    Last edited by Hardwater; 09-29-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo

I read some place that sleave bearings at low shaft speeds will pump excess oil out of the bearing. That can happen every time it slows to a stop. The problem I see with oil cups like in the picture is that other technicians see its empty and fill it up. This might happen every time it is serviced. I see they gave you a large bottle of oil, enough oil for at least 50 bearing sets. HIDE THE OIL.

If your shaft has excessive wear, the bearings will weep. Possible solution would be an offset bearing bracket.
    Also, higher viscosity oil might help.
    You absolutely must use the recommended type oil. Regular motor oil has detergents that will remove the graphite wicking material. A clue to this happening will be "black" oil running out.
    Presumably, you're using the pictured oil cup;You wouldn't want to install an oil resevoir way up high with increased static pressure.
    The nuts on the bearing cap should be left as shipped. If you have tightened them, back them off to near finger tight.

You can use plastigage to check the running clearance if you want. Its quicker and eaiser then lead wire.

Forgot to ask. is that a new wick that is in the kit? looks like one in front of the bottle of oil. Hard to tell though.
    Yes it is a new wick.
    RTFM!!!

So have you discovered if and why you have the problem with the excessive oil leak? I'm sure your aware that if the clearance's between the shaft and bearing are to far out of spec's that it will pull particulate matter into the area of the excessive clearance and damage the running area between the shaft and bearing surface.

Moreover, this will also increase the clearance between the running surface area between the shaft and bearing allowing the leak to worsen and result in premature failure of the bearing. I think that if the wicks physical properties have changed for whatever reason it would affect the capillary action of the the wick and change the flow rate. I don't remember at what rpm the oil wedge takes affect. I need to brush up on the basic's of the oil wedge.

Talking

Do you do side jobs? I have a sister that lives in Phoenix and might some day might need a good service tech. If that was to be the case I could email you and you might be interested in earing a little extra cash. If there is any such thing as extra cash these days.

So have you discovered if and why you have the problem with the excessive oil leak? I'm sure your aware that if the clearance's between the shaft and bearing are to far out of spec's that it will pull particulate matter into the area of the excessive clearance and damage the running area between the shaft and bearing surface.

Moreover, this will also increase the clearance between the running surface area between the shaft and bearing allowing the leak to worsen and result in premature failure of the bearing. I think that if the wicks physical properties have changed for whatever reason it would affect the capillary action of the the wick and change the flow rate. I don't remember at what rpm the oil wedge takes affect. I need to brush up on the basic's of the oil wedge.
    Well what i came up with is the bearings have a oil reservoir that is about the size of a soda can and there were over feeding oil so we installed the oil cups that came with the new bearings and are gonna use a little thicker oil and only fill the cups every once in a while untill we find a happy medium.

Also the clearance in between the shaft and the actual sleeve bearing is pretty tight. The shaft has no excessive wear when i inspected them again. So hopefully this will help us maintain the cooling towers and roof free from oil.

thanks again to everyone for the awesome feedback!!!
    RTFM!!!

Do you do side jobs? I have a sister that lives in Phoenix and might some day might need a good service tech. If that was to be the case I could email you and you might be interested in earing a little extra cash. If there is any such thing as extra cash these days.
    Yeah i do. Send me your email address and ill send you all my contact information.
    RTFM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by manny238 View Post
    Yeah i do. Send me your email address and ill send you all my contact information.
    mrrobotto2002@yahoo.com

The likely problem with your bearing leakage is you may be using the wrong type of oil. The sleave bearings use graphite as a lubricante so a non-detergent oil is required on with the sleave bearings. Using a detergent oil will cause the graphite to disolve and allow oil to flow freely through the passage that once held the graphite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast