Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: OP:

Originally posted by Chill
    It does seem you have an axe to grind, about something. I think there is more to your story. Like how much of this install did you do(but don't want to admit to).

You talk about how bad a job these installers did for you, but I wonder how much you got in the way while they where working, talking to them and trying to learn something. Lets give these installers a break, putting up with you. I have seen alot of DIY'ers that get a little over zealous trying to learn how. It looks easy when you watch someone doing it, but you should try it yourself next time.

I don't think you staged all of this, just enough to come here for some attention. Some people always have to be impressing others. Sorry it didn't work.
    If I had done the work on the install, it wouldn't be giving me problems, now. I wasn't around the job site when the jerks did the work. Just got burned by not doing it myself. I knew better, but I thought, "Oh, I'm getting too old for this stuff, so I'll just hire it done." Big mistake.

And, I've learned something from your posts... once a troll, always a troll.

Thanks for all the good help, Chill. Very impressive!

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-25-2006 at 08:09 PM]

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, I was just giving my opinion.

Your sarcasium about helping you is out of line. I tried to help you but you kept telling me how much you knew, instead of sending the picture of the concentric kit, which we still did not get. I hope the name calling is just in good fun, but it does come out a little hateful. The only advise I could give you now, is to try some of the DIY sites on the web, this isn't one of them.

One more thing, if you know so much about installs, you should have been able to pick a better company.

They always come here to cry,when ever they feel wronged by someone in the HVAC industry.

[Edited by Chill on 01-25-2006 at 09:22 PM]

Chill wrote:

>>>>Your sarcasium about helping you is out of line. I tried to help you but you kept telling me how much you knew, instead of sending the picture of the concentric kit, which we still did not get. I hope the name calling is just in good fun, but it does come out a little hateful. The only advise I could give you now, is to try some of the DIY sites on the web, this isn't one of them.<<<<

You are totally clueless and hopeless. There has been no point to posting a photo of the concentric. I had a fresh tech look the system over, but he was unable to put his finger on why the concentric was malfunctioning. I doubt you could do better with a pic, since the tech couldn't find a reason for the fault in real life. That was why I had to improvise the trap on the intake, and spray dye into the exhaust, so it would help prove how the condensate was getting into the intake. I've explained all of this before, and you still do not get it.

>>>>One more thing, if you know so much about installs, you should have been able to pick a better company.<<<<

I'll try this one more time. I knew nothing about furnace installs when I hired the HVAC contractor last July, but since then, I've had to learn quite a lot.

>>>>They always come here to cry,when ever they feel wronged by someone in the HVAC industry.<<<<

I came to this site, looking for help to solve the problem of condensate getting into the combustion box, thinking that, perhaps, a profession tech would know exactly where to look for the solution. Wronged is not the word I would use... screwed is a better fit.

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-26-2006 at 12:01 AM]

Wow this goofy threads still alive? Hmmmm

Your just upset because nobody patted you on the back for what you thought was such a great idea(your condensate trap). I still think the pipes where installled backwards. I can't see that much dye getting thru a flaw or crack. You can't show the pics, because this would bust your game.

Originally posted by Chill
    Your just upset because nobody patted you on the back for what you thought was such a great idea(your condensate trap). I still think the pipes where installled backwards. I can't see that much dye getting thru a flaw or crack. You can't show the pics, because this would bust your game.
    You're right... I'm busted.

Whatthehay?
    Troll-patrol@woohoo.we.got.one.com

Oh, by the way, nice trap you installed, you do such good work. You really plumbled that in good. You are really smart to think up such a great device.

whattehhay
    i am not getting involved in your discusion with chill
    but i have to ask
    i can see the concentric kit not being glued or leaking back exhaust to the intake. maybe it wasnt glued properly or not at all. you can get some water leaking back but from what you are showing in the picture that is a lot of dye in that tube. how is it that the dye was able to fill that tube so quickly. even a big leak in the kit shouldnt let it come back like that. i could see if a little was in the tube but that much just dont make any sense.

as far as telling you to put dye in the exhaust why. a true tech could see the problem with out going through all that trouble.

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    whattehhay
    i am not getting involved in your discusion with chill
    but i have to ask
    i can see the concentric kit not being glued or leaking back exhaust to the intake. maybe it wasnt glued properly or not at all. you can get some water leaking back but from what you are showing in the picture that is a lot of dye in that tube. how is it that the dye was able to fill that tube so quickly. even a big leak in the kit shouldnt let it come back like that. i could see if a little was in the tube but that much just dont make any sense.

as far as telling you to put dye in the exhaust why. a true tech could see the problem with out going through all that trouble.
    So, how does one find, "...a true tech?" Do they have some identifying mark on their forehead or somewhere else?

I bought a new furnace and a bad deal

From crab master:
    Of course hind site is always better but heres a good quote that neophytes serendipity has.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Pointless critical alliteration

From John Lloyd:
    Please don't take offense, but is there a chance that you 'got what you paid for?'

No one intentionally pays for sub-standard work.

From atphvac:
    What happens is the value most customers get from the low bidder is nothing more than what they paid. So you probably did get what you paid for. You could not have paid this guy enough to be competant but you could have hired a more reputable company. You know, the other quote you got.

Again, no one intentionally pays for sub-standard work.
    Other quote? Are you clairvoyant?

From crab master:
    I really don't care what you paid but...

But the rest of your post seems to say that you do.

From John Lloyd:
    Anybody else notice that information that was supposed to be forthcoming has not? Pictures? Also, 'what the hay' said there was more to this story, but has not been forthright in producing this additional information. I think what the hay, is into chain pullin. (wouldn't be the first time fellas) A genuine inquiry from a legitimate source would not be so confrontational, but would go out of their way to make this added info available. I again take the position that most if not all of this shouldn't be discussed on the open forum. In some cases, what the hay makes several posts in a row. Sounds like someone with a 'hidden' agenda. Just curious if anybody sees anything 'familiar' about this post? Live your life as an EXCLAMATION, not an explanation!
    You MOTIVATE by what you TOLERATE!

Anybody else notice that this post is about accusation, not advice?

From tinknocker service tech:
    have the contractor replace the concentric kit or run two saperate lines out the roof. have them do it the way the instaltion book discribes. imo if this thing is leaking it isnt installed correctly

Replace the concentric kit or run separate lines. That might solve the problem, but how does it answer the question.

From john Lloyd:
    seems you have a good point. he seems more interested in confrontation then giving answers to real suggestions seems he is looking for approval to add a drain to the intake instead of getting it fixed. wonder if this isnt a diy install that went bad

John Lloyd, it would seem you have a fellow paranoiac

From John Lloyd:
    or perhaps someone by another name? hmmmmmmmmm. man, ya always gotta watch yer back!
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION, not an explanation!
    You MOTIVATE by what you TOLERATE!

How cryptic. Could it be a conspiracy?

From 2hot2coolme:
    Yeah right, not much of a photographer there are we, you need to take more, post them and explain what's up.
    I could see that job looks like crap already.

You have the professional's discerning eye, though you seem to be short on substantive advice.

From Chill:
    That's alot of dye you sprayed in there. How much got into the combustion box?
    That's why I didn't want to give step by step instructions to someone with questionable skill level

From this “not much of a photo...”, you can tell how much dye was used?
    As to the lack of instruction, yes, better to baffle us with you-know-what, than blind us with brillance.

From Chill:
    I know your proud of the trap, but don't be so sure you trapped all of it. Actually I think this is a little to neat, to be real. It seems more staged. If you are as skilled as you think, than why come here asking for advise?

So, what does dye do to the combustion box?
    Of course. Only the unskilled should come here for advice.

From Chill:
    It does seem you have an axe to grind, about something. I think there is more to your story. Like how much of this install did you do(but don't want to admit to). You talk about how bad a job these installers did for you, but I wonder how much you got in the way while they where working, talking to them and trying to learn something. Lets give these installers a break, putting up with you. I have seen alot of DIY'ers that get a little over zealous trying to learn how. It looks easy when you watch someone doing it, but you should try it yourself next time. I don't think you staged all of this, just enough to come here for some attention. Some people always have to be impressing others. Sorry it didn't work.

You equate “furnace to fix”, with “axe to grind”, and, like the Shadow, you know “what evil lurks in the hearts of men.”

From Chill:
    I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, I was just giving my opinion. Your sarcasium about helping you is out of line. I tried to help you but you kept telling me how much you knew, instead of sending the picture of the concentric kit, which we still did not get. I hope the name calling is just in good fun, but it does come out a little hateful. The only advise I could give you now, is to try some of the DIY sites on the web, this isn't one of them. One more thing, if you know so much about installs, you should have been able to pick a better company. They always come here to cry,when ever they feel wronged by someone in the HVAC industry.

Your opinion is evident. Your solution is not.

From Chill:

Aren't you assuming facts not in evidence?

From Chill:
    Oh, by the way, nice trap you installed, you do such good work. You really plumbled that in good. You are really smart to think up such a great device.

Finally. Well. Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.

Gentlemen,
    Several members responded with real suggestions, minus criticism, while others could not forgo the barbs in what advice they gave. I have only admiration for the knowledge and skill of those who make their living at HVAC, but that expertise is hard to find in the snide, accusatory and veiled remarks above.
    If you believe a question is disingenuous, why waste your valuable time?
    Koald
    P.S.
    Thanks for your time, and if you wonder why I waste mine:

To the best of my memory:
    “Can't abide rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it.” Larry McMurtry

Thanks for the post game wrap up. My feeling from the original post was that if somebody can't put in a pvc flue without creating a world of problems then that person is obviously unskilled. If the part was damaged and the installer couldn't find what the problem was then he probably wasn't qualified to have installed it in the first place. If the homeowner chose this person either the installer is a good BSer or more likely it was an "economy" install and the homeowner didn't mind taking the chance considering the price. From the picture the job looked neat so I would be inclined to think that if the installer wouldn't come back then there probably wasn't any money left to take care of warranty work. Any reputable company would go back to correct issues and make a happy customer even if there isn't any money left. The whole thing sounds like this homeowner chose an economy install and was pissed that he didn't get the job that he wanted or that another more reputable company had described to him. My heart breaks to hear this poor fellows ordeal.

Re: I bought a new furnace and a bad deal

Koald,

Great critique. I suspect you and I are from the same epoch, but, "...only the Shadow knows."
    Cheers!

Whatthehay?

Originally posted by atphvac
    Thanks for the post game wrap up. My feeling from the original post was that if somebody can't put in a pvc flue without creating a world of problems then that person is obviously unskilled. If the part was damaged and the installer couldn't find what the problem was then he probably wasn't qualified to have installed it in the first place. If the homeowner chose this person either the installer is a good BSer or more likely it was an "economy" install and the homeowner didn't mind taking the chance considering the price. From the picture the job looked neat so I would be inclined to think that if the installer wouldn't come back then there probably wasn't any money left to take care of warranty work. Any reputable company would go back to correct issues and make a happy customer even if there isn't any money left. The whole thing sounds like this homeowner chose an economy install and was pissed that he didn't get the job that he wanted or that another more reputable company had described to him. My heart breaks to hear this poor fellows ordeal.
    I still can't figure out why some of you feel you must transfer blame of incompetent workmanship onto the customer. I was referred to the contractor's company by a friend, who had previously owned the company. My assumption, going into this furnace replacement, was that the new owner had competent people working for him, since they had, also, worked for the prior owner. I was wrong, but this does not justify the bad install.

I got only one bid (that I considered reasonable) from only one contractor that a friend referred me to. Now, I suppose you will fault me for having a friend that would send me to an incompetent company.

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-27-2006 at 01:23 PM]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast