Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    Originally posted by tinknocker11
    here's the pic!!!

you'll have to descibe it to us!!! its hard to tell whats going on!!! what is the polytubing trap on the intake for and why the red dye in the spray bottle???
    Yeah right, not much of a photographer there are we, you need to take more, post them and explain what's up.

I could see that job looks like crap already.
    Perhaps you can clarify, as to just what you think looks like crap.

I bought a new furnace and a bad deal

Whatthehay?,
    Doesn't paranoia annoy you? I'm glad to see that you received some good advice, notwithstanding those respondents who seem more geared toward criticism and condemnation than witticism and explication. I am not a writer, but thank you. As for that, I believe you are holding your own quite well.
    Good Luck with your furnace.
    Koald

Re: I bought a new furnace and a bad deal

Originally posted by koald
    Whatthehay?,
    Doesn't paranoia annoy you? I'm glad to see that you received some good advice, notwithstanding those respondents who seem more geared toward criticism and condemnation than witticism and explication. I am not a writer, but thank you. As for that, I believe you are holding your own quite well.
    Good Luck with your furnace.
    Koald
    Koald,

Thanks for the support. I, too, find it strange that many of the respondents appear to be more interested in trolling, rather than in offering learned suggestions to aid in problem solving. In my first post I mentioned that condensate was forming inside of the combustion intake, but none of the techs offered the simple method of spraying a dye into the exhaust vent termination to determine if condensate might be circulating from the exhaust to the intake, due to internal leakage of the concentric. I had to figure that one out on my own. It seems too simple for the techs to have not known about this method. I hope they remember it for future troubleshooting.

Whatthehay?

That's alot of dye you sprayed in there. How much got into the combustion box?

That's why I didn't want to give step by step instructions to someone with questionable skill level.

I would withhold payment till the job was done right....

If you have already paid I would call the local newspaper and have them come out for a looksee....or call the installing contractor and let him know you will have the paper out there tomorrow if he would like to come by and defend his shoddy workmanship.

or get a lawyer....

Originally posted by Chill

That's why I didn't want to give step by step instructions to someone with questionable skill level.
    Apparently, you didn't see the trap in my photo; it catches all of the condensate coming down the intake pipe. So, none of the dye has gotten into the combustion box. Perhaps my skill level is higher than you think.

Originally posted by corny
    I would withhold payment till the job was done right....

If you have already paid I would call the local newspaper and have them come out for a looksee....or call the installing contractor and let him know you will have the paper out there tomorrow if he would like to come by and defend his shoddy workmanship.

or get a lawyer....
    Thanks for your response. After my discovering the install tech had reduced the return air duct opening to less than 1/2 of the opening for the old furnace, I wanted to withhold the final payment, until the operation of the new one had proven itself... but, alas, my wife talked me into paying in full at completion. I think I was right. I plan to hire another contractor, pay him, then send the first one the bill.

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-24-2006 at 09:47 PM]

Originally posted by whatthehay?

Apparently, you didn't see the trap in my photo; it catches all of the condensate coming down the intake pipe. So, none of the dye has gotten into the combustion box. Perhaps my skill level is higher than you think.
    I know your proud of the trap, but don't be so sure you trapped all of it.

Actually I think this is a little to neat, to be real. It seems more staged. If you are as skilled as you think, than why come here asking for advise?

[Edited by Chill on 01-25-2006 at 12:26 AM]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chill
    [B]

Actually I think this is a little to neat, to be real. It seems more staged. If you are as skilled as you think, than why come here asking for advise?

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-25-2006 at 01:03 AM]

Chill wrote:

>>>>I know your proud of the trap, but don't be so sure you trapped all of it.

Actually I think this is a little to neat, to be real. It seems more staged. If you are as skilled as you think, than why come here asking for advise?<<<<

After conceiving and installing the trap, I removed the front of the burner box and found no condensate entering the box. Therefore, I deduced that my trap was totally effective (since I'm pretty skilled in logical deduction). I made sure of its effectivity before spraying dye into the vent pipe.

The need for a trap on the intake vent pipe was twofold... I needed to prevent condensate from entering the combustion box and I needed to determine if the condensate coming down the intake pipe was recirculating condensate from the exhaust vent pipe.

Since my involvement in this furnace fiasco starting last July, brought on by incompetent installers, I've been forced to learn a lot about furnace installation. Judging from your less than insightful comments, I suspect I'm already ahead of you.

As an aside, do you know what a troll is?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chill
    [B]

Chill wrote...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    To Chill,

Okay, I give up. You got me.

This all started last summer, when I decided to set up an elaborate ruse, just to try to catch you up on this site, and to see if you could catch me. I phoned a furnace contractor to do a furnace R & R with A/C, and asked him to be sure to have incompetent workers do the install, so numerous defects would show up after the job was completed. When the job was done, I paid him about $4,000, then waited for problems to arise.

It didn’t take long. On the roof I found an installer had used black silicone caulking on the concentric and the rubber of the roof jack, but he had, mostly, missed the seam. (Of course black silicone sticks to neither PVC nor roof jack rubber.) The tin of the jack was completely covered by a liberal amount of tar, so I wondered, if perhaps, the tech had used all of his tar on top of the tin, instead of underneath, between the roofing paper and the tin, where it would, actually, do some good. So, I lifted a corner of the jack tin, and sure enough, one thin bead of black tar that didn’t go all the way around the hole. Great!... I thought, if signs of imcompentence are showing up already, it could only get worse from here. And, boy, was I right.

If you’ve followed all of my posts, then you are, already, familiar with some of the other problems (like condensate leaks) that have presented, since the install. I have gone to all of this trouble and expense just to try to make all HVAC techs look bad, but you were too sharp for me... you caught me in the best ruse I could muster. You are just too good for me.

Was it really the neatness that tripped me up?

p.s.: I got you, too!

Whatthehay?
    Troll-Patrol@woohoo.we.got.one.com

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-25-2006 at 11:47 AM]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whatthehay?
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Chill
    [B]
    ?

Was it really the neatness that tripped me up?

p.s.: I got you, too!

Whatthehay?
    Troll-Patrol@woohoo.we.got.one.com

[Edited by whatthehay? on 01-25-2006 at 11:47 AM]

LOL... You have a good sense of humor.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OP:

It does seem you have an axe to grind, about something. I think there is more to your story. Like how much of this install did you do(but don't want to admit to).

You talk about how bad a job these installers did for you, but I wonder how much you got in the way while they where working, talking to them and trying to learn something. Lets give these installers a break, putting up with you. I have seen alot of DIY'ers that get a little over zealous trying to learn how. It looks easy when you watch someone doing it, but you should try it yourself next time.

I don't think you staged all of this, just enough to come here for some attention. Some people always have to be impressing others. Sorry it didn't work.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast