Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: I bought a new furnace and a bad deal.

Originally posted by koald
    It seems an unfounded assumption that a poor installation equals the lowest bidder. Given my minimal knowledge and experience, I don't know how to positively assess the skill level and quality of workmanship of a contractor until the job is done. I imagine there are many others in the same boat.
    Not every sub-standard job is the result of the customer's parsimony.
    Thanks for expressing my position so succinctly. I have to work hard to just try to write with clarity, but you, apparently, have the gift. Are you a professional writer?

Originally posted by whatthehay?
    Originally posted by Chill
    Originally posted by beenthere
    Maybe he has the intake and vent reversed at the concentric.
    This is what I was thinking. I have seen one like that and it caused alot of condensate, dripping down from the ceiling. With a pic, we might be able to tell if that is the problem or not.
    As I explained in my original post, the exhaust gas goes up the center pipe in the concentric, and the intake air comes down the outside. I think this is the correct configuration, due to the fact that most of the condensate is caught in the traps on the exhaust blower pipe, and goes down the drain.
    You might have got a bad install, but I can see your part of the problem as well. We have been asking for a picture, but instead you tell us it is correct. You orginally said all furnaces look alike, but now you know more than the professionals. No two furnaces look alike to me. We may be able to see something less obvious to you, since they all look alike to you.

...We have been asking for a picture, but instead you tell us it is correct. You orginally said all furnaces look alike, but now you know more than the professionals. No two furnaces look alike to me. We may be able to see something less obvious to you, since they all look alike to you. [/B]

I still would like to SEE that vent. There IS something wrong with it.

Whatthe- How high is the intake above the roof? It could be pulling snow into it.

Re: Re: I bought a new furnace and a bad deal.

Originally posted by crab master

I really don't care what you paid but I'd guarantee it was not that reputable company/individual - as if it was they would be working on solving your problem instead of you trying to solve it.

Also I'd bet on it being the low/only bidder.

Don't get me wrong I wish you luck on solving your problem and that would be great if you solve it yourself with the help of others here, but you paid a guy to do a job and he should be supporting you not the guys on this forum.
    Best of luck to you in your endeavor.

Originally posted by koald
    It seems an unfounded assumption that a poor installation equals the lowest bidder. Given my minimal knowledge and experience, I don't know how to positively assess the skill level and quality of workmanship of a contractor until the job is done. I imagine there are many others in the same boat.
    Not every sub-standard job is the result of the customer's parsimony.

Thanks for expressing my position so succinctly. I have to work hard to just try to write with clarity, but you, apparently, have the gift. Are you a professional writer?
    Boy that underlined sentence up above. What was that about a gift? ;o) You sure are spending alot of time defending your position rather than posting pics. We all make mistakes and I am not trying to pick on your but clearly you seem to be more interested in defending your choice vs. posting the pertinent pics. Again best of luck to you and those points I made on the previous post on how to pick a good contractor should really help you out next time.

[Edited by Crab Master on 01-01-2006 at 02:58 PM]
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Originally posted by elkhvac
    ...We have been asking for a picture, but instead you tell us it is correct. You orginally said all furnaces look alike, but now you know more than the professionals. No two furnaces look alike to me. We may be able to see something less obvious to you, since they all look alike to you.

I still would like to SEE that vent. There IS something wrong with it.

Whatthe- How high is the intake above the roof? It could be pulling snow into it.
    [/B]
    The intake is about 3' above the roof. We don't have any snow. Still getting condensate inside intake pipe.

have the contractor replace the concentric kit or run two saperate lines out the roof. have them do it the way the instaltion book discribes.

imo if this thing is leaking it isnt installed correctly

Originally posted by t527ed
    >>>>A picture is worth a thoundsand words,

What is the model #<<<<

model #: FC9S135D20UP11

I'd send a picture, but one furnace looks pretty much like any other to me. :-)

picture would be good, coleman model # means nothing to me. every furnace looks different to a trained eye. picture of venting and were leaking would speak volumes.
    I can't seem to find a way to send you photos. Do you know how it is accomplished on this site? Thanks.

Originally posted by beenthere
    Maybe he has the intake and vent reversed at the concentric.
    This is what I was thinking. I have seen one like that and it caused alot of condensate, dripping down from the ceiling. With a pic, we might be able to tell if that is the problem or not.
    As I explained in my original post, the exhaust gas goes up the center pipe in the concentric, and the intake air comes down the outside. I think this is the correct configuration, due to the fact that most of the condensate is caught in the traps on the exhaust blower pipe, and goes down the drain.
    You might have got a bad install, but I can see your part of the problem as well. We have been asking for a picture, but instead you tell us it is correct. You orginally said all furnaces look alike, but now you know more than the professionals. No two furnaces look alike to me. We may be able to see something less obvious to you, since they all look alike to you.
    I don't see any provision for sending photos at this site. Do you know how it is done? Thanks.

1. Did this contractor perform a heat loss/gain on your
    home before he decided on the furnace size?
    2. Did he measure the temperature difference across the
    furnace?
    3. Did he adjust the gas pressure?
    4. Did the contractor install the furnace according to the
    manufacturers installation instructions?
    5. Double wall metal vent pipe on a 90+?

I would bet that the answer to the first four questions is no. If the answer to the 5th question is yes, then that would most likely be the problem. Condensing (90+) furnaces are almost always vented with either PVC or stainless steel.
    Your problem is most likely due to some part of the installation being done wrong.
    Call another heating contractor and have them come out and look at it, and do all the setup and testing that is needed. Once that is done your problem will most likely dissapear.

Originally posted by pecmsg
    Go here

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5
    Thanks for the info!

to be continued..........................

[Edited by htg guy on 01-02-2006 at 05:58 PM]

I think he has a concentric vent kit. I have installed hundreds of these with no problems, so I suggest a picture like others if you want further help.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast