Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    My new 130,000 btu Coleman furnace replacement project has been a fiasco from the start. Installer necked a return duct of 14 x 28 down to 7 x 24, so he could set the furnace on a lower box to make top attachments easier for him, 'cause he wasn't very good at metal work. After I made that discovery, installer had to R&R furnace to make a taller box with the correct sized duct opening.

When I pointed out rotten installation of roof jack with almost no sealer under tin, and black silicone not even meeting the joint with the vent pipe, contractor told me that was the way he had been taught to do it.

Now that cold weather is here, condensate forms inside the "concentric" vent pipe and runs back to the inside of the combustion box, producing about a gallon in a week, during single digit outside temperatures. Contractor insulated the double-sided vent pipe, which has hot exhaust air moving inside the center pipe, surrounded by cold intake air in the outer pipe, going to the combustion box. I call this double pipe the condensate maker. Of course the insulation had no effect on the rate of condensation, but now water also leaks from the outside of the vent pipe onto the top of the furnace.

It's been a month and a half, since I first told the contractor about the condensate leaking into the combustion box, and he does not seem to know what to do to remedy the condition. Surely, mine is not the only furnace to have this problem. Seems to me, some sort of trap could be used to catch and drain the water. Hope to get this solved soon, before the tin starts to rust. Any suggestions?

If we weren't right in the middle of winter, I would be inclined to call the contractor and tell him to come and get the furnace, then start over with someone who knows what they are doing.

[Edited by whatthehay? on 12-29-2005 at 11:20 PM]

Not familiar with Coleman, but it sounds like someone needs to get a copy of the install manual and read it cause something don't sound right there.

Bobby

>>>>Not familiar with Coleman, but it sounds like someone needs to get a copy of the install manual and read it cause something don't sound right there.

Bobby<<<<

I've perused the install manual, and it makes no mention of the concentric vent pipe. Am wondering, if this is not a common method to provide venting.

A picture is worth a thoundsand words,

What is the model #
    We are all here to learn!

>>>>A picture is worth a thoundsand words,

What is the model #<<<<

model #: FC9S135D20UP11

I'd send a picture, but one furnace looks pretty much like any other to me. :-)

Of course hind site is always better but heres a good quote that neophytes serendipity has.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Originally posted by whatthehay?

What is the model #<<<<

picture would be good, coleman model # means nothing to me. every furnace looks different to a trained eye. picture of venting and were leaking would speak volumes.

Please don't take offense, but is there a chance that you 'got what you paid for?' A follow-up to that: After the contractor acquired the necessary permits (which a licensed, qualified contractor would have done of course) called for the inspection upon completion (which a licensed, qualifed contractor would have done) what does the inspector say? Unfortunately, workmanship isn't covered under code unless it directly affects the operation and safety of the system.

How explicit was your agreement with the contractor?

If there is a question in your mind as to whether or not the system is 'proper' then contact the local code enforcement and have them come take a look at it. I for one, would WANT my work inspected for just this reason. The guys out there that don't have any bueinsss doing the work should be 'revealed.' Good luck.

It is also extremely difficult for any of us (sight unseen) to try to pass judgement on the project. #1 we don't know what you agreed to and #2, and don't know what other issues may be at work here.

Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

It is not unheard of to install a trapped drain line for an intake, but that should only be a last resort. Most concentric kits limit the actual "concentric" part to a maximum length of 60". That would be the entire length of the concentric, including any part above the roof to the terminal. Is that the case here?

Originally posted by t527ed

What is the model #<<<<

picture would be good, coleman model # means nothing to me. every furnace looks different to a trained eye. picture of venting and were leaking would speak volumes.
    Yeah, no kiddin, every furnace looks the same when it comes outta the box, but not after installation.

Show the stinkin pictures already and maybe we can tell you what's wrong with it.

What is the model #<<<<

Coleman-FC9S135D20UP11 Up flow, 40", 135kbtu, 92% condensing furnace.

It should be draining condensate to a proper place. Where is it draining to? PIC?

Maybe he has the intake and vent reversed at the concentric.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i have seen some concentric kits where all the fittings involved need to be assembled and primed and glued
    if this is one there may be exhaust leaking into the intake or just water from the exhaust pipe leaking into the intake
    or i may be way off the wall on this one

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast