Thread: too much air

Post Likes

too much air

Have a 5 ton unit in a moblie home. At first the cap. went bad. After replacement unit started freezing up. Pulled vac. and pulled inside unit out(cond.-fan) and cleaned. Cleaned outside coils. Unit runs better than ever. But it still is freezing-up. Having to cover half of unit outside with pastic to keep from freezing-up. Any ideas of what has happened?

Post Likes
    A couple of things will cause a unit to freeze up the most common are lack of refrigerant, lack of air flow across the evaporator. make sure these are correct, via proper charging methods and airflow measurements.

Post Likes
    You did not say which cap you replaced.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Outside cap. was swollen and checked bad.

Post Likes
    Would it be wise to put a valve inline for flow?

Post Likes
    Not a DIY site. You need to join the pro section and ask. Frankly I've never seen a mobile home with a 5 ton AC unit but there is always a first!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Not a DIY site. You need to join the pro section and ask. Frankly I've never seen a mobile home with a 5 ton AC unit but there is always a first!!
    Sounds like an oversized unit from a contractor who doesn't know how to size or a homeowner who purchased their equipment online without a warranty and tried to Do It Themselves.

Have a professional come to your house and work on the unit, the money you pay for this will easily be saved in trying to work on it yourself and all the hassles that come with it.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    A 5 ton unit is to large for a moble home, if it is single it only has mabe 920 sf. you are moving too much air over the evaperator and not removing enough humitiy out of your air. I would not think that the cap would be the problem as much as overcharged.
    how much super heat and sub cooling do you have?

Post Likes
    jkv.....too much air??? I've also NEVER seen a 5 ton blower in a mobile home. Sounds like the HO has a LOT of problems!!! Your answer of "too much air" can't be even close to the mark. Largest blower I've ever seen is 4 ton, and if someone put a 5 ton on this system it would probably do just what it's doing.....duh??? Sorry for hard time, but if you're gonna post something just try and make sense when you do.

Post Likes
    Mobile homes always need to be grossly oversized due to the heat gain factor. They also always have high static air issues. Having the indoor blower motor replaced with the next larger HP motor (along with proper capacitor) will help overcome SP and increase air volume.

If you are a professional in the HVAC field, get your post count up to 15 posts and apply for professional membership.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Thanks RoBo, sounds like the best idea so far. This is not the original unit to the home. when I bought it the owner had replaced the unit someone has given to her. So I'm not sure if it is over sized or not? The tech that came out suggested more air flow, return? Or maybe a valve inline, for control? For now am wrapping pastic around half of outside unit, to keep from freezing.

Post Likes
    Most mobile home returns are also undersized.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    5 ton units on mobile homes down here is very common. my home is 2500 square feet and i have a 5 ton system "package" on my mine. however with any unit many things can cause a freeze up. call a pro have them check it out.
    Aire Force A/C and heating
    Florida
    since 1988

Post Likes

Mfg (mobille), Modular, Stick (site) Built, ...

Quote Originally Posted by biggi View Post
    5 ton units on mobile homes down here is very common. my home is 2500 square feet and i have a 5 ton system "package" on my mine. however with any unit many things can cause a freeze up. call a pro have them check it out.
    http://homebuying.about.com/cs/modul...dularhomes.htm

TERMS here are significant.

It appears that you have a modular home.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thanks Dan,
    I always thought modular was a nice word for mobile

Post Likes
    we call them mobile homes here no matter. no body really cares either way. if they are on blocks it's a trailer. mine is a triple wide "mobile home". however nicer then most. 10 foot ceilings huge living spaces. but no matter. it's still a trailer. LOL.
    Aire Force A/C and heating
    Florida
    since 1988

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in