Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tape a plastic cap over the relief valve . we had a rack problem simler to this and we found out that the relief valve was blowing off at night . and we traced it back to a faulty hold back valve
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

Quote Originally Posted by bacciagalupe View Post
    tape a plastic cap over the relief valve . we had a rack problem simler to this and we found out that the relief valve was blowing off at night . and we traced it back to a faulty hold back valve
    I did 2 weeks ago and its still there. . This leak is driving me crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by rackguy813 View Post
    I did 2 weeks ago and its still there. . This leak is driving me crazy....
    Well, it sounds as if you might be onto it.

I remember the last head scratcher like this that I had to deal with.

Frozen rack lost about a thousand pounds or so before we pinned the leak down. 7/8" liquid line cracked in the ceiling above a department.

I showed up one morning with a couple of ladders and a man-lift on the way.

Manager asked me about this yellow, oily stuff dripping out of the ceiling.....

Found it.

I wish the Manager would ask me if it should be leaking a yellow liquid. I would probably give them a hug lol

Can you not kill the exhaust fan in the machine room and see if the machine rooms leak detector picks up a leak if the ppm were to skyrocket. You could at least eliminate the machine room or narrow it down this way.

Its a pain in the ass to cut and pinch to isolate the circuits, but if its really that bad you cant trust a ball valve, they really do leak alot more then you are familiar with- I hope you have used your new leak detector on that system top to bottom first. Remember shut off all air movement that you can. Also you might consider if you can to raise head pressure (300psi) Shut all off, take a plastic tarp and cover the condenser (like a tent), and leak check the condenser under a high pressure in a enclosed cover. I have found many big leaks that way GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Milk_man83 View Post
    Can you not kill the exhaust fan in the machine room and see if the machine rooms leak detector picks up a leak if the ppm were to skyrocket. You could at least eliminate the machine room or narrow it down this way.
    This is a rooftop mounted rack. No house just panels. No leak detection system in there at all. Eliminated rack and condenser. I showed up in the middle of the night and shut all dehumids and a/c's off. Got a hit on circuit 2. Cutting line and nitro testing now. Now that's my second confirmation that circuit has a leak. First was yesterday when I tried to pull a vacuum and couldn't break 1000 microns. Cutting out insulation on both liquid and suction lines and gonna find and finally fix this thing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard4mrkts View Post
    Its a pain in the ass to cut and pinch to isolate the circuits, but if its really that bad you cant trust a ball valve, they really do leak alot more then you are familiar with- I hope you have used your new leak detector on that system top to bottom first. Remember shut off all air movement that you can. Also you might consider if you can to raise head pressure (300psi) Shut all off, take a plastic tarp and cover the condenser (like a tent), and leak check the condenser under a high pressure in a enclosed cover. I have found many big leaks that way GOOD LUCK
    I really like this idea. Will def keep in mind the next time I'm in a position like this one.

Does the rack have water reclaim? I've seen refrigeration lines leak inside the tank - you'd never pick it up with a leak detector unless you popped the tank relief valve and leak checked the vapor escaping with the water...
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Quote Originally Posted by Hard4mrkts View Post
    Remember shut off all air movement that you can. Also you might consider if you can to raise head pressure (300psi)
    FTW!

Shut down RTUs and raise head pressure. You will find that pesky leak

Hard4markts is right. Don't trust ball valves as far as holding nitrogen away from refrigerant, just asking for trouble doing it that way. Cutting and pinching is a pain in the ass but is the best way to do it. Depending on how many vacuum pumps are in your van you could also pump multiple systems down, pull vacuums and see if they hold. If you want to make sure the ball valves aren't leaking refrigerant by(one reason why you wouldn't pull or hold a vacuum); hold a lighter to the outlet of the vacuum pump and see if you smell phosgene. Have you found this expensive leak yet??

Quote Originally Posted by lovetowork View Post
    Hard4markts is right. Don't trust ball valves as far as holding nitrogen away from refrigerant, just asking for trouble doing it that way. Cutting and pinching is a pain in the ass but is the best way to do it. Depending on how many vacuum pumps are in your van you could also pump multiple systems down, pull vacuums and see if they hold. If you want to make sure the ball valves aren't leaking refrigerant by(one reason why you wouldn't pull or hold a vacuum); hold a lighter to the outlet of the vacuum pump and see if you smell phosgene. Have you found this expensive leak yet??
    I have never thought of checking the gas from the vacuum pump to indicate leaking ball valves...

I'll give it a try next time I'm in that situation.

Lighter works well if you don't have a leak detector right next to your side.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast