Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have covered the entire rack outdoors. Condenser good. found 2 bad discharge service gasket on comps 3 & 4. replaced both. Check all seems on receiver, checked hold back valve, check high press relief valve, checked heat reclaim coil, accumulator, checked all welds and machine bent tubing for cracks, checked vibration eliminators and head press controls to see if those were leaking. and yes i covered inside very well. I offered to install new flooring but they declined my request lol

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is the point that I've been driving at.

Particularly with the H-10, R404 leaks are harder to find. Use the highest sensitivity and follow every indication of a leak you get.

Now, supposedly the Infrared sensor technology has a more consistent response to HFC/CFC/HCFC refrigerants. I'm still not convinced.
    I had it set to highest sensitivity. now my problem is that all tubing including liquid line are insulated. with the rate the refrigerant is leaking out it should have jumped out and bit me already lol

Ive had the same problems at wal-mart. people before me looking for a leak with a H-10. Get yourself a TIF ZX and go try again . If you don't find anything start punching holes in the armaflex in the overhead or where ever you can and stick the detector in the hole. You will find it. I did this at a store where three people had looked for a leak for two months and found it on a liquid line in the overhead.

A leaking rupture disc(s) is/are commonly overlooked...

pressure control bellows...

maybe the leaking liquid cores and the service valve gaskets are it???

this probably doesn't apply....but once had a subcooler from another rack leak into the other rack,and they were two different gasses.

just throwing thing out there...

let us know how it turns out...I feel your frustration...

he's right I have heard of the subcooler leaking into another rack. Also put a balloon on the pop-off.

I agree with what was said earlier you need to start isolating systems and pressureise with nitrogen I like to use 100 lbs because your low side gauge is calibrated in 1psi increments so you. Can see a change in pressure more quickly. To prevent the risk of getting nitrogen into the rest of the rack is cut the lines at the rack and cap them off for the pressure test! A coupling only costs a few bucks a lot cheaper than refrigerant. When you identify which circuit the leak is in add some r22 as a trace and leak check with your electronic leak detector, And it doesn't hurt to use a couple different leak detectors.

Leak finding Is an art and takes Perservance !!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Frostmonkey74; 09-27-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Fix misspelled words

I agree with airsmith I own a tif zx. Me and another senior tech were at a wal-mart and were leak checking and his h-10 did not pick up half the leaks the zx did. I have always trusted the h-10 until seeing this first hand. By the way, these was not as big as leaks as you are reporting, so it should be evan easier to find!!! Also, there is nothing wrong with scheduling to go in early in the AM when the hvac is shut down and listening with all the systems and fans and sterios and people and.... all off. This might help I have found many leaks just by listening when everyone is quiet , its a easy leak check. good luck.

Maybe step back, you said that yesterday you repaired 8 high side leaks. 6 liquid line schraders and 2 compressor discharge gaskets. It doesn't seem unreasonable that those 8 would pi$$ out 7 1/2 lbs. a day on a rack that holds what, 1500 lbs.
    You may already have it licked.

I thought I found them all too but we are still losing refrigerant. I'm getting ready now to begin leak checking again and my boss wants me to start pulling vacuum on each circuit to 300 microns and see if they reach mark and hold. I'm totally with cutting the lines after the ball valves but they wanna see if this works first. Also on a side note I did go buy myself a new leak detector this morning. New tif owner lol. Will keep progress posted. Thank you to everyone for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated

Ok well a lil good news today. Seems like circuit#2 won't pull down past 1000 microns. Retyrning tomorrow to cut lines and nitro test with some R-22. Weird cuz I broke vacuum 4 times today and still wouldn't pull down. Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by rackguy813 View Post
    Ok well a lil good news today. Seems like circuit#2 won't pull down past 1000 microns. Retyrning tomorrow to cut lines and nitro test with some R-22. Weird cuz I broke vacuum 4 times today and still wouldn't pull down. Will keep you posted.

I wouldnt soley rely on ball valves and other valves to hold 100% , at this point in time I would do as suggested and cut the lines and then do your testing.

Quote Originally Posted by neumonic View Post
    I wouldnt soley rely on ball valves and other valves to hold 100% , at this point in time I would do as suggested and cut the lines and then do your testing.
    I agree but I have never had a ball valve bleed thru so far. Not saying it isn't possible because I know it is but so far it hasn't happened to me. Def gonna cut the lines and pressure test tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rackguy813 View Post
    I agree but I have never had a ball valve bleed thru so far. Not saying it isn't possible because I know it is but so far it hasn't happened to me. Def gonna cut the lines and pressure test tomorrow.
    Well I wish you luck and hopefully you have narrowed it down. Its frusterating but you are better than the machine!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast