Thread: Aluminum Coils

Are Aluminum Coils a good or bad thing? I was going to have a Trane dual fuel system installed tomorrow, but now having second thoughts because of the aluminum coils.

The two arears that worry me are cleaning and repair. Someone told me that the only way to clean aluminum is to burn stuff off, and you can't repair it (because the aluminum would melt before the solder.)

Any comments??

Thanks,
    Doug

Haven't found one yet I couldn't rinse out. Those Spine Fin coils have been working great for 45 years. Trane is coming out with an all aluminum evap again since they and everyone are having problems with leaks on the copper/aluminum evaps.

My only issue with them is the leak repair ( or lack of it ), especially at the alum to copper connections. Had one that broke loose while changing a compressor - cost me a $900.00 compressor. Couldn't fix leak, had to replace outdoor unit - couldn't return compressor because I had already soldered in the suction line. Joint broke as I was soldering in the discharge line.

Richard

This is Turtle

all the manufactor had hell with the copper / Al coils and then went to All Al. coils to stop it. then years ago they went back to copper / Al. to stop the leaking . now you say they are going back to all Al. coil to stop the leaks. so here is what you have here.

[Copper/Al. coils]
    TO [all Al. coils ]
    To [ copper / Al. coils ]
    To Now you say [ All Al. coils ] .

I will say this the best thing that ever happen to service company was the use of ALL Al. Condenser Coils / Dogs / riding Lawn mowers.

TURTLE

Originally posted by TURTLE
    This is Turtle

all the manufactor had hell with the copper / Al coils and then went to All Al. coils to stop it. then years ago they went back to copper / Al. to stop the leaking . now you say they are going back to all Al. coil to stop the leaks. so here is what you have here.

[Copper/Al. coils]
    TO [all Al. coils ]

I will say this the best thing that ever happen to service company was the use of ALL Al. Condenser Coils / Dogs / riding Lawn mowers.

TURTLE
    If you were a green sea turtle you would find that the ALL AL. Condenser Coils would make you into the Maytag Repair man. They stand up good to the salt.

Figure out who i am yet terrapin?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Buy the Trane and quit worryin, they are goin to all aluminum too handle the higher pressures of R 410. in southern climates other brands have experienced champaine leaks. Trane is goin this way to make sure theirs don't start. Good stuff its okkkkk and supposed to be more durable. Look for the others to follow. Tranes a leader... now which would ya have..... a leader or a follower?

Originally posted by Carnak
    This is Turtle

[Copper/Al. coils]
    TO [all Al. coils ]

TURTLE
    If you were a green sea turtle you would find that the ALL AL. Condenser Coils would make you into the Maytag Repair man. They stand up good to the salt.

this is Turtle.

I think your Knockle head from Canada ?

a dog taking a leak on a coil will have ammonia in it and will eat up a Al. Coil faster than anything else there is.

Salt is good but Ammonia will always do a better job.

TURTLE

/////////

Originally posted by Carnak
    This is Turtle

[Copper/Al. coils]
    TO [all Al. coils ]

TURTLE
    He's got your number C-)

AllTemp Heating & Cooling