Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    We're finishing off the basement and I am wondering if its worth it to run the existing basement registers (now at the ceiling) to the outside wall and down to the floor so the heat is put out at the floors (where I'd like it). There is one return vent in the basement that will be in the ceiling.

Thanks

worth it if not to much of a hassle to do. should be ok where at if to much trouble.

If I was going to heat my basement, I wouldn't put the return in the ceiling, I'd put it low near the floor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Around here you normally see the registers at or in the floors and returns are near the ceiling. Isn't that the best set up for heating? Seems like the otherway would be for areas that are primarliy concerned with cooling.

Return in or near the floor for heating.

I'm in PA, it gets sort of cold here.
    Contractor locator map

if it can be moved, return down low away from supplies would be best.

With the proper registers, the outlet in the ceiling will actually heat the floor more efficiently than low in the wall. I will probably get a lot of harrssment for saying it but its true. Also It doesn't matter where the return is.

Conventional "wisdom" is usually 180 degrees opposite of the truth.

Originally posted by atphvac
    With the proper registers, the outlet in the ceiling will actually heat the floor more efficiently than low in the wall. I will probably get a lot of harrssment for saying it but its true. Also It doesn't matter where the return is.

If you have the room that it doesn't blow the air directly on some one.

It also makes for alot of dusting, doing it that way.

With the cold air return in, or near the ceiling it tends to have to run longer.
    Contractor locator map

Originally posted by atphvac

I am not saying that you are wrong, but I have had my best results in putting the supply registers in the walls 6-8" off the floor. And returns centrally located in the walls, close to the floor. Have done it the way you suggested, and was never satisfied with the results.

So you're saying returns and supplies near the floor, or supplies in the ceiling and returns in the floor?

Any house I've seen around here (Detroit) with forced air heat has the supplies in or near the floor (perhaps out of ease of installation?) but the returns are always placed up on the walls near the ceiling.

both low wall

Originally posted by t527ed
    both low wall

What he said. Yup both low wall.

Smile

we always used to install the registers on the wall at 7" and I did it that way in my basement. I spoke to an engineer at Lennox who did studies in the early 80's on heat pumps and duct location and he told me what I previously wrote. (I kinda remember Lennox having some system where they spec.ed the register sizes and locations or they wouldn't guarantee the operation....does anyone remember this?) Anyway it makes sense because you eliminate the friction loss of the air doing a complete U turn before getting into the space where it is needed. You eliminate the thermal loss through the pipe to the outside wall, and you create a blanket of warmth between your body and the outside effectively making you feel warmer because your skin is no longer losing radiant heat to the outside wall of the space. Also, think about the duct being like a hair drier pointed straight down at the floor as opposed to across the floor. From the side discharge isn't the warm air going to rise almost immediately anyway? OK, put a return low and it can help, but why do that? Your system is pushing the air down a pipe and not heating the space until it exits by the floor and then the air rises not really heating the floor. If you blow it out of the ceiling toward the floor it will immediatley start to warm the space, continue down the wall, hit the floor and begin to warm that and then go across the floor, rise up and go back into the return. Am I right or wrong?

The debate is the fun part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast