Need advice. I tried searching, but couldn't find the answer.

First post, and I hope this is in the right forum. My upstairs unit starting getting picky on me lately. Lately it will blow cold sometimes, and hot others.

I'll turn the thermostat down, and the thermostat will click on. The blower fan comes on, the compressor fan comes on, but the compressor won't. So i'll turn it off, and turn it right back on, and it will immediatly start blowing cold. I don't think it's a matter of the compressor overheating, cause usually the compressor hasn't run for a few hours. Then when I turn the thermostat down it gets finicky. It comes on just fine about 9 out of 10 times. But every once in a while, it's nothing but hot air, and turning the thermostat off and back on usually fixes it.

So what could be the issue? Is it a faulty capacitor, wiring, or pressure switch?

Thanks, Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
    First post, and I hope this is in the right forum. My upstairs unit starting getting picky on me lately. Lately it will blow cold sometimes, and hot others.

I'll turn the thermostat down, and the thermostat will click on. The blower fan comes on, the compressor fan comes on, but the compressor won't. So i'll turn it off, and turn it right back on, and it will immediatly start blowing cold. I don't think it's a matter of the compressor overheating, cause usually the compressor hasn't run for a few hours. Then when I turn the thermostat down it gets finicky. It comes on just fine about 9 out of 10 times. But every once in a while, it's nothing but hot air, and turning the thermostat off and back on usually fixes it.

So what could be the issue? Is it a faulty capacitor, wiring, or pressure switch?

Thanks, Lucas
    Those are good guesses! However, the list of possibilities is actually much longer than that. Unfortunately we can't get too specific in this forum, and in any case that would require more info about the unit, most of which would require connecting gauges and use of a multimeter. Your best bet is to get a good tech out to diagnose the real issue. Some of the possible issues can result in compressor failure as long as you continue to run the unit with that problem. Since we can't see it, then we can't really give you any idea of what that problem might be. Like I said, the list of possibilities is fairly long.