(Heat N Glo) No High Flame

We have a Twilight II Heat n Glo fireplace using the Intellifire control which uses the RCT-MLT-II remote control unit. Also there is a wall switch for the fireplace as well and no blower. So my problem is the fireplace will ignite and seems to work fine from the remote. The remote has a HI Flame setting which does nothing. I can hear a solenoid click but there is no change in the flame. As I said everything else works as it should but just one flame setting. I have never gotten it to work.....any help...

Either the solenoid on the valve isn't working, or it is working and you just can't see the difference between hi and low. Sometimes, on some units, it can be hard to see the flame difference.
    You will have to check outlet gas pressure on high and on low and see if there is any difference between the two. I think it is supposed to be 30% difference.

Cool

Fist of all, did this fireplace receive the repair kit from the Twilight recall? Should be a sticker down in the valve compartment.

You should have the Fp wired to either a wall control or remote but not both.

You need a pro to check the items discussed by fire-parts and others. If this is LP, it is simply a design defect--the LP regs. tend not to turn down.

Contact HG Tech support first with your model # to get it into their system and see if it was in the recall.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Fist of all, did this fireplace receive the repair kit from the Twilight recall? Should be a sticker down in the valve compartment.

You should have the Fp wired to either a wall control or remote but not both.

You need a pro to check the items discussed by fire-parts and others. If this is LP, it is simply a design defect--the LP regs. tend not to turn down.

Contact HG Tech support first with your model # to get it into their system and see if it was in the recall.

Guess I should have mentioned that it is on Natural Gas.

If the wall switch is in the off position nothing will work. With the switch in the on position the remote will work.

I see what looks to be a normal manufactures sticker inside along with instructions on how to light the pilot... I assume you mean this reacll mentioned here
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06562.html

I will call HG on Monday and inquire....

Cool

You need to know if that wall switch is a 120vac service disconnect switch or 3 volt ac ignition switch.

Yes, that's the recall. Just provide your serial # and they'll be able to tell you if it was recalled or not. The Twilight I was not under the recall since it was the redesign that caused the problem. Later units were re-designed to fix the re-design. The problem was not actually so much the design as it was the application. Bldrs couldn't figure out how to layer the non-combustible board and weather resistant barrier so it didn't ignite. We developed a repair kit that reduced the exxhaust temps up the outside wall so it wasn't a problem if certain criteria were met. Each unit in the recall must be inspected by one who has been trained in this recall.

FWIW, I lead the recall investigation and worked with the head of engineering flying to Minn. 8 weeks straight then rolled out the training on the repair.

HTH

I have not worked on Heat n Glo products for a while, but I recall that some Intellifire systems required field installation of the flame control solenoid. An incorrect installation of the solenoid could cause this problem. Recommend you have a professional familiar with Intellifire have a look.