Curiousity has gotten the best of me yet again.

My brother-inlaw's Dad has installed some sort of wood stove that ties into his ductwork and uses it to heat his cabin. He also has a furnace but this is cheaper (free wood).

Anyway, his son was asking me about these setups. Now I've never ever seen anything like this, and kinda leery of the whole thing to be honest. I guess Menards sells them (not off to a good start lol), but I haven't made it out there to check them out.... yet anyway. I was wondering if you guys have ever had experience with a setup like this, or know of any decent manuf's that make them. I'm hoping not to get involved with this, but I'd also rather be involved if it means it's done right and safe vs dangerous and cobbled together.

Thinks I'm curious about, how do you wire it in, how does the duct tie into it, how do you block the old furnace (which still runs) off when/if you use this.... basics like that.

TIA guys n gals.

Johnson Energy made a stove certified to tie into ductwork but that was 15 years ago.
    Generally, tieing into ductwork is a BAD idea, lots of potential to overheat your supply plenum.
    Got a link?

Oh yea

Years ago I made a few, well they should be called a Jimmy Rig. Enclosed all but the front of the stove with a metal box set down over it. Put one duct in the bottom of the box and one off the top. Snap disk limit to operate the blower in the furnace. Pulled return air through it. There was a picture of a manufactured one in one of Dakers posts on an oil furnace changeout a while back. Some tied into the supply and had a fan and some tied into the return. Water wood stoves were big around here and some are still out there after 15 yrs.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

At camp I have a wood stove and now a wood pellet stove.

They don't burn when I am not there. More homes get burnt down to the ground around here then by any other cause. There are so many variables and too few safties, in my opinion, for these wood burning furnaces.

Also in order to burn wood you have to be young and strong. That means you are bullet proof. Bullet proof people should not attempt to install a wood burning appliance. There are too many situations during an installation to say "Ah, screw it."

I live in a one story rancher, and have a wood stove in my family room. I cut a 12x12 filter grille in the ceiling above the wood stove, and installed a thermostatic switch in it. Then I ran insulated duct in the attic with a 6" duct fan, and put a supply register in my living room, and one in my dining/kitchen area. Now when I burn the wood stove, the fan comes on by itself, and moves all of that hot air up at the ceiling into the other rooms, keeping the family room from overheating, and the other rooms comfortable.