Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We're also living longer than we ever have in history. Much longer.

It's been postulated that exposure to aluminum dust can contribute to Alzheimer's.

No anti-perspirant for me.

One thing Ive seen before is like a really rotten selfish stingy kid taking in a parent..... they get the power of attorney... access to the cash and property.... but then instead of sending their parent off to a nursing home where they can get cared for the child decides to do it him or her self......and at a 10th of the cost....... Soup beans and day old bread every single meal every single day..if they even prepare a meal each day....... they keep the parent basicly locked up while they work..... and of course....the parent dies off much sooner.....and of course the kids sees this as a blessing.... Im sure dad was glad to go years quicker than he would have if someone would have taken good care of him..... Im sure mom didnt want to be a burden on me.....

They were old and crazy.... they didnt need much more than a bowl of beans every couple of days...... I DESERVE THEIR MONEY...... AND I CANT ENJOY IT WITH THEM AROUND......

yep... best for everyone if the kids can take care of mom and dad..... but nursing homes have their place.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Ah, I see.

Our rural area nursing homes (and assisted living facilities) are probably a good deal different than in the cities. My mom worked in a nursing home for many years and cared a great deal for the patients/residents there. My husband's grandmother passed away in 2006 and had lived her last 18 years in a local nursing home.
    When i eventually have to take care of my parents they are coming out here. Far less expensive for the same quality of care from what I've seen. I sameness think the rural midwesy should market itself for senior living and assisted living homes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I tend to agree on the poisoning ourselves idea...

The other thing may be we are living a higher stress lifestyle... with less processing of emotional stuff. When we get old... that non-processed stuff sticks its ugly head up and we struggle with it.
    If that is really a major factor, I'm due to forget who I am at any moment.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    When i eventually have to take care of my parents they are coming out here. Far less expensive for the same quality of care from what I've seen. I sameness think the rural midwesy should market itself for senior living and assisted living homes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    A big problem though, is alzheimers. We are not just talking about not knowing who anyone is. Alzheimers is a very serious matter to deal with, and an advanced alzheimers person must be monitored 24/7. Then there is the abuse "from" a person with alzheimers. My grandfather and grandmother were living in an assisted living complex with their own apartment. A form of alzheimers that causes a person to become extremely violent hit my grandfather faster than he was able to be diagnosed. During a violent episode, my grandfather beat my grandmother so badly that we would not have recognized her outside of her apartment. It was downright gruesome what he did to her. Not long after he beat her so badly, and she had returned from the hospital emergency, my grandfather had no recollection of anything that had happened, believed my grandmother had fallen down stairs and was taking care of her as if his life depended on it.

Because my grandmother would not leave my grandfather, and it would take too long to get power of attorney over her, we were instructed by staff at the home that a back stairs door would be left unlocked for us to be able to sneak in and essentially kidnap my grandmother to get her away from my grandfather.

My point is that no matter how much we love someone, the average person simply cannot deal with an alzheimers patient.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    With as many folks suffering from alzheimers these days, one has to wonder if we aren't poisoning ourselves with food and water additives and all of the chemicals we put directly on our skin and into the air that we breathe.

I'm not talking about factories or vehicle pollution, I'm talking about scented products and personal hygene products that we deliberately are poisoning ourselves with. When the air inside a house is on average 5 times more polluted than the air outside, regardless of the quality of the outside air, we need to be thinking about what it is we are doing to ourselves.
    I think something we can't discount is that people are simply living longer and therefore surviving other diseases and health issues and are getting cancer and alzheimers. I wonder also if there is any correlation to early childhood illnesses and those that get alzheimers. Meaning did many of these people survive childhood, that previsously wouldn't have. Infant mortality is dramatically higher than 30, 40 ro 50 years ago.

... and that brings me to my 2nd point, if more people are surviving illness and diseases in childhood, the gene pool is therfore slowly degrading due too lack of natural selection. ITs' a simple fact... If you have a predisposition for certain illmnesses, but modern medicine is able to "cure" you, you will pass on those predispositions genetically.

I'm not proposing any solution to this. I'm not a supporter of misguided views of certain groups that rose to power in the 1930's in Germany. But they were guided by an underlying desire of all animals that procreate to improve their gene pool for the survival of the species. The traits that often make the opposite sex attractive, and pre "programmed" into us. The simple elements that make someone attractive. With women it's symmetry, proportions ideal for childbearing, the overall appearance of health. Wth men it's also symmetry, height, confidence, strength, among others. Some of this get muddles by what we learn growing up, or if we're a little "miswired" from birth.

As for clean water an air. Well, if alzheimers starts to decline when normalized for life expectancy and a drop in other illnesses and diseases, then we might be on to something. Pollution of hte air and water peaked in the 1970's before the passage of the clean water and air acts. So those 50-90 were more exposed than those 20-50 and even lower below that. Although the rise of pharmacetical use (overuse in some cases) could offset some of that. The link between antiperperant with aluminum compounds is interesting. I personally have switched to using only deoderate about 1/2 the time and apply the other lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    Very true.

When I was a fire suppression tech I would have to inspect and service systems in these places. Some were like a resort while others were like loony bins. The worst parts were when in some of the more frightful places was the people yelling to get me out of here or help me, etc. Don't know if some even knew what planet they were on anymore. Some of the homes in new orleans the nurses treated the elderly like objects. I would get so pissed seeing them handle these old people like bed sheets or something in the way while they tried to do whatever.
    Where's Nicholas cage when you need him?
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Interesting to me is that you quote 2,000 pound a month (I don't know where the pound symbol is on my key board, not like I use it much being American).

The nursing homes near my home don't have 'lights out' times, it's up to the occupant and if they aren't mobile they have a schedule whereby the nurses or attendants will switch them off. They bath as they want or as needed and have private time in their private or semi private room as they prefer and only join in public areas as they like. This is my personal experience in my local area with relatives and doing volunteer work.
    What ever happened to mrs reb???

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

With as many folks suffering from alzheimers these days, one has to wonder if we aren't poisoning ourselves with food and water additives and all of the chemicals we put directly on our skin and into the air that we breathe.

I'm not talking about factories or vehicle pollution, I'm talking about scented products and personal hygene products that we deliberately are poisoning ourselves with. When the air inside a house is on average 5 times more polluted than the air outside, regardless of the quality of the outside air, we need to be thinking about what it is we are doing to ourselves.
    There is a ventilation/humidity control ad in here someplace!
    I forget where.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    What ever happened to mrs reb???

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    She has been a very busy Gal, still pops in once in a blue moon, but she is doing fine. One fine lady she is.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

The sensitive occupants react immediately to certain pollutants and must leave the space. The insensitive are perfectly comfortable although long term they may be affected by the pollutants. The best bet is to assure are an acceptable fresh filtered air air change rate, while maintaining a comfortable dry space. Growing mold generates volitle organic gases that adversely afffect many immedeately. So, many suggest maintain <50%RH.
    There is a ventilating dehumidifier ad in there some place, I forget where.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Why don't we Place the elderly in prisons ?

Because my father in law with alzheimers would tear up the place.

What do I win?
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Hopefully I get to bow out before I get stuck being warehoused.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast