Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

The Elderly who live in nursing homes

Why don't we Place the elderly in prisons ? think about it
    They will get a hot shower a day, central heating video surveillance in case of problems, medications, hours of private time, three meals a day, clean clothes and sheets, access to a library, medical and dental care, computer, TV, gym etc etc ...

Put criminals in nursing homes. They have cold meals, lights off at 9 p.m., one bath a week, have no private time, live in a smaller room, and pay £2,000+ a month!!!!!.
    it makes ya think

I like the idea of prisoners paying $$$ for their debt to society.

But then I like capital punishment also...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by mikewest124 View Post
    Why don't we Place the elderly in prisons ? think about it
    They will get a hot shower a day, central heating video surveillance in case of problems, medications, hours of private time, three meals a day, clean clothes and sheets, access to a library, medical and dental care, computer, TV, gym etc etc ...

Put criminals in nursing homes. They have cold meals, lights off at 9 p.m., one bath a week, have no private time, live in a smaller room, and pay £2,000+ a month!!!!!.
    it makes ya think
    Interesting to me is that you quote 2,000 pound a month (I don't know where the pound symbol is on my key board, not like I use it much being American).

The nursing homes near my home don't have 'lights out' times, it's up to the occupant and if they aren't mobile they have a schedule whereby the nurses or attendants will switch them off. They bath as they want or as needed and have private time in their private or semi private room as they prefer and only join in public areas as they like. This is my personal experience in my local area with relatives and doing volunteer work.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Someone posted this on my FB page and thought I would share it here.

Ah, I see.

Our rural area nursing homes (and assisted living facilities) are probably a good deal different than in the cities. My mom worked in a nursing home for many years and cared a great deal for the patients/residents there. My husband's grandmother passed away in 2006 and had lived her last 18 years in a local nursing home.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I worked in nursing homes for several years. Some are great and some are terrible.

When medicaid came out with the prescriptive payment system in the mid 90's it cut the payout for nursing home care just about in half. In addition, to accept medicare/medicaid patients, nursing homes must agree to setting aside a % of their beds for this. I forget the number but is is over half the beds.

This cut the operating budgets of must nursing homes almost in half and care was dramatically effected.

Nursing Aids, the primary care givers make minimum wage, have too many patients to care for, and are supervised by nurses who have too many patients to spend time supervising.

I don't plan to get old.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

According to my mom, who has alzheimers, her expensive nursing home is a prison. Whenever I visit her, the first words out of her are; Oh thank God, are you here to take me home? Then I ask; Do you even know who I am? To which she usually says something along the lines of; "Of course I know who you are, your that guy."

mikewest, I understand what you are saying and can't really disagree. It's just that it is hard enough on family members who do have relatives in homes then to have to admit they really are in prisons.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    According to my mom, who has alzheimers, her expensive nursing home is a prison. Whenever I visit her, the first words out of her are; Oh thank God, are you here to take me home? Then I ask; Do you even know who I am? To which she usually says something along the lines of; "Of course I know who you are, your that guy."

mikewest, I understand what you are saying and can't really disagree. It's just that it is hard enough on family members who do have relatives in homes then to have to admit they really are in prisons.
    Sounds like my grandmother who lived until she was 97. She was still pretty good metally most of the way until the end. Near the end I would visit and get some pretty strange stuff out of her. I mentioned that the staff here seems very nice. She then tells me that they are only this way because I am there.

Then she asks me to speak to them about the menu as she says that she knows that THEY know that she hates "Southern Cooking". Ok, no problem. As I'm wondering exactly what Southern cooking is I ask the desk person to show me the menu for the week. It contained what one would normally expect, tuna fish sandwhich and chicken soup with beverage and a fruit cup and stuff like that.

My parents are in what is called a retirement community. It's a multi-building complex that is connected by heated walkways so they never have to go outside in bad weather. It's like a little city with banks, spas, resteraunts, all kinds of stuff. Also, there is a managed care facility on site so that if something happens to one of them, they won't be seperated. Also, under the terms of the contract, they can never be asked to leave for any reason, including running out of money.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
    I worked in nursing homes for several years. Some are great and some are terrible.

When medicaid came out with the prescriptive payment system in the mid 90's it cut the payout for nursing home care just about in half. In addition, to accept medicare/medicaid patients, nursing homes must agree to setting aside a % of their beds for this. I forget the number but is is over half the beds.

This cut the operating budgets of must nursing homes almost in half and care was dramatically effected.

Nursing Aids, the primary care givers make minimum wage, have too many patients to care for, and are supervised by nurses who have too many patients to spend time supervising.

I don't plan to get old.
    Very true.

When I was a fire suppression tech I would have to inspect and service systems in these places. Some were like a resort while others were like loony bins. The worst parts were when in some of the more frightful places was the people yelling to get me out of here or help me, etc. Don't know if some even knew what planet they were on anymore. Some of the homes in new orleans the nurses treated the elderly like objects. I would get so pissed seeing them handle these old people like bed sheets or something in the way while they tried to do whatever.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    Very true.

When I was a fire suppression tech I would have to inspect and service systems in these places. Some were like a resort while others were like loony bins. The worst parts were when in some of the more frightful places was the people yelling to get me out of here or help me, etc. Don't know if some even knew what planet they were on anymore. Some of the homes in new orleans the nurses treated the elderly like objects. I would get so pissed seeing them handle these old people like bed sheets or something in the way while they tried to do whatever.
    Where's Nicholas cage when you need him?
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

My MIL is in a memory care (assisted living area) home. Alzheimer at 93. Over 3500 a month. We moved her into our home for about 3 years. Yes she is in a place she doesn't really care for.Could we have continued keeping her with us? NO!!! The toll on our family was horrendous. 2 or 3 folks coming in to help, didn't ease the load as much as you would think. We had to be aware of her 24 hours a day. Bedroom monitors, helping her walk, and listening to her constant tearing down off our efforts to help. Why am I here. Who are you? And wanting to lie about anything she could. When her bowels could no longer be depended upon, when she would fall and we would have the ambulances over 4 and 5 times a week. When she would say, "Just leave me alone. Get away from me." There is only so much one can do and maintain both her and our health and sanity.
    The place she is in is a very nice place. They have activities they can do, tv they can change. 24 hour RNs. Doctor on site. Semi private room, and even a marina. This is a place I would like to live in now.
    So yes There will be more housing needed for seniors. But Uncle Sam aint footing the full price of this place. SS only goes so far. But she also spent 4 years in the Navy during WW2. We should not just kick them to the curb.
    Sorry for the rant.

As many folks at H-talk know... I kept my Dad in my home for the final years of his life (he passed last summer).

The last 4-6 weeks were a real roller-coaster... Dad lost track of who he was, where he was, what he wanted, what reality was... who was speaking to him, and a host of other things. The last couple of weeks were something I would like to forget; Dad was nothing short of a spoiled child disrupting everything around himself.

Personally... I watched my grandparents die... and NONE of them were near as difficult as Dad was... I sometimes wonder what we have done as a society to make folks behave as they do.
    Any thoughts?

PS--I have a customer with a 90+ Mom who is going through the same stuff. I feel for them... and sometimes talk to them when I can... It is a horrible mess... without a solution I am aware of.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I'm hoping for a break-thru with the use of stem cells possibly from bone marrow. Hopefully before I get it. Both my mother and at least one uncle on her side had it.
    But then again, I might just have a stroke like my father. In the hospital during a routine checkup.
    Of course, many,many years down the road.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast