Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huffing Freon

Huffing Freon

"In all three cases responders found Krueger laying unconscious next to the air conditioning units in an unresponsive state."

Smart guy!

"If found guilty of felony theft Brentyn Krueger faces up to five years in prison and a potential $10,000 fine."

And why isnt his punishment as stiff as if You or I released refrigerant into the atmosphere?

What a idiot!!!!!

What ever happened to good ol Whip Cream huffing ?

A local tech made some money!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    What ever happened to good ol Whip Cream huffing ?
    Ah yes...Whippets!

Back when in worked for a supermarket chain, I recall seeing lots and lots of opened whipped cream cans which were tossed on top of the dairy walk-ins.

As for huffing refrigerant, here's a situation I had about 15 years ago at a convenience store:

I got a "no ice" call from a busy convenience store and after I did a quick check it became apparent the system was seriously low on refrigerant. It was a Hoshizaki KM-500MRH as I recall. I did a thorough leak search on the unit the remote condenser and the line set in between...nothing.

So I just recovered what remained, weighed in the proper factory charge, fired it up, checked operation, collected my money and left.

About 2 weeks later they call and once again the ice machine is down. I get there and find the same scenario. I leak checked once more and recharged. This time I strongly suspected there was some huffing involved here. At about that time, the night manager had just clocked in.

I got to chatting with him in the back room where the icemaker is located. This guy was in his early 20's and seemed quite interested in what was wrong the machine. I then explained that I suspected an employee must be huffing refrigerant as it was the only reasonable explanation I had. He became even more intent on listening and asking questions.

Then I related to him what a serious issue this was in the industry and how many kids have died from asphyxiation from huffing refrigerant. His eyes opened wide with almost a shocked look. I felt I had found the culprit.

Sure enough, I never had another refrigerant related call on that machine again.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood650 View Post
    A local tech made some money!!!!!
    Just wondering if any of those calls were mine or not. Lol. A couple people they interviewed I never recognized though. I think he kept just to his nieghborhood it sounds like.

When I was in apartments, the first thing I looked for was the all too familiar Wal-Mart bag, sitting in the condensate pool by the condensor, its interior coated with refridgerant oils, the service port caps missing. Some properties had a daily problem, others were more spread out. Oddly enough, now that I'm over 4,000 units, I only have a problem with one unit on one property---and danged if the little booger hasn't figured out a way to wring off the tamper resistant caps...

Figure I'll find his cold, dead body, propped up next to the condensor one fine morning soon enough.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

The only reason

Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    That it was added to the 2011 IMC requiring locking caps on accessable refrigeration equipment.

Three mothers potitioned ICC because there kids died from "HUFFING"

[Rant]A big problem in Oakland right now. A young guy was found dead next to an AC.
    Companies are actually outing cages around units now.
    Let them kill themselves, a good way to weed out economic leeches and knuckleheads.
    Which is why I also believe why wearing seatbelts should not be the law. If you are stupid
    enough not to wear your seatbelt you deserve what's coming.[/rant]
    Tell Obama he can keep the change

I love those tamper resistant caps I make more money when they file a hole in the copper.

Quick! Turn him in to the EPA! You could receive a $10,000 bounty. I'm sure some of that refrigerant was released to the atmosphere. Idiot.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by john.0522 View Post
    I love those tamper resistant caps I make more money when they file a hole in the copper.
    The threaded bass sleeve inside is actually quite weak where the threads are cut...whatever this kid uses, it leaves no jaw marks or dings of any kind, just a forlorn looking green cap in the mud, with just a single, cleanly broken thread of brass left in it near the top...leaving a spiral of brass around the service port that can be just a dinger to get off...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast