Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello everyone I just wanted to say hello. I also wanted to ask a question. I am about to go to Sinclair Community College in Dayton Ohio for a HVAC certificate. I am really wanting to get out of the job I am in now as a plating operator at a plant. It is good money but no security and it gets really nasty working aroung chemicals like acids all day. So I wanted a skilled trade to get into and this feild seems to be really interesting to me. Anyway I am going to have to go to school part time and work full time so I can still support my family while going to school. I wanted to know how you guys got started and what would you recommend what to specailize in? I wanted to get into an apprenticeship program where I could work in HVAC full time and school part time but the problem is I don't know where to start I live in a small town although Dayton in about an hour from me. I was wondering if anyone knows of a site or from around the Dayton Ohio area that could tell me how they started out. Thanks alot

FIELD is spelled F I E L D

Senior Tech Guest
    The stories of how we got started will be numerous...basically you apply for a job in the field.
    You will eventually be hired on as a helper as some sort and be promoted up through the ranks as you show you are able and willing to learn. One thing is for sure, nobody starts at the top and you it will be quite some time before you earn top dollar...so be patient and stick with it, eventually the money will come.

HVAC is....

small potatoes residentially. Go union.

Originally posted by davenet
    FIELD is spelled F I E L D
    I before E except after C, or when sounded like A as in neighbor and weigh.

Remember that from a charley brown movie when I was a kid.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Thank you for the response to my questions. If someone lives around the Dayton area I would love to hear about some of the jobs and what kind of wages I can make in Ohio. I was also wanting to know if anyone knew if Sinclair was a good enough school. By the way this site and forum are a great place for us newbies to get some great info.

Thanks again

Senior Tech Guest

Re: HVAC is....

Originally posted by serious player
    small potatoes residentially. Go union.

As with all things opinions vary. I think it's safe to say he can make good money, union or not, if he's good.

like you said opinions vary, senior....

well with a question like,"how do you get field experience"
    tells me he doesn't have field experience otherwise he
    wouldn't ask such a question, would he?

And it's not safe to say he could make good money
    because usally there's a trade off good money beat benefits, or somewhat good benefits and beat pay.

Any 401k is like not getting one at all even with a IRA
    with it.

Residential contractors JUST don't make the money
    commercial and industrial contractors make in order to
    provide really good money.... so the statement stands
    true Senior tech, residential work is small potatoes.

In my area scabs are hurting the indutrial part of the industry. The unions are bringing on these sum bags
    to force them out.... The only thing is I don't do crap
    work no matter what the benefits are.

Having worked both sides of the 'fence' I can tell you that union wages are good. On the other hand, if you are more concerned about the craft itself, then non-union may be a better way to go. Suffice it to say there are trade-offs either way. When I worked in the union environment, most of the myths I had heard about union work and union workers were proven true; unfortunately. In the open shop, performance-based environment, the top techs can make wages that parallel those of union. What I found in the union environment is that most treated wages and benefits almost like entitlements. If you are good at what you do, then chances are you will succeed in either. All the best, John.

Like the man said, you'll hear a wide variety of opinions on this subject!
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I take it...

you all aren't from new jersey?

Senior Tech Guest
    Nope...but have a brother-in-law there who is a state electrical inspector...again, you love the union...stick with it...I on the other hand choose not to be in the union and I have great benefits and make great money...to each their own and I'll leave it at that.

never said that...

I loved the union. People are all about money. Try and tell
    that to a company your interviewing with. They think
    that I'll up and quit if they hire me... maybe so
    if they're scabs. What part of the country you live in?
    And the company you work for...Residential? Commercial? Industrial? are they squared away? How do they deal with lazy good for nothing kids?

You see I can't work for people who do bad work.
    It's boring. Or hire x-cons, drunks, pot heads,
    thieves,

[Edited by serious player on 12-26-2005 at 11:52 AM]

Senior Tech Guest

Re: never said that...

Originally posted by serious player
    I loved the union. People are all about money. Try and tell
    that to a company your interviewing with. They think
    that I'll up and quit if they hire me... maybe so
    if they're scabs. What part of the country you live in?
    And the company you work for...Residential? Commercial? Industrial? are they squared away? How do they deal with lazy good for nothing kids?

You see I can't work for people who do bad work.
    It's boring. Or hire x-cons, drunks, pot heads,
    thieves,

[Edited by serious player on 12-26-2005 at 11:52 AM]
    None of the above has anything to do with union or not union. We do residential, commercial and a little industrial. Lazy kids...interesting choice of words, lazy people in general have no home at our company. We strive to hire qualified individuals who don't have bad habits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast