Decorative or Vent Free Allowed?

Decorative or Vent Free Allowed?

Hi, new to the forum here. We have a Majestic MBU36 Factory Built Fireplace that was put in our home when it was built in 1985. We had decorative gas logs installed and stopped using them 2 years ago because of the continual problem with black soot in the house. Based on the recommendation of the propane company, we bought vent free logs yesterday and then called someone about having the fireplace cleaned before the new logs are installed. We were told we cannot have vent free logs in this type of fireplace at all. The place who sold us our logs knew it was an older home but not the type of fireplace, but has been in business for 25 years selling logs. Please tell me if we can use vent free or not if the flue is sealed off. Thanks!

Cool

Inspite of what Majestic may claim, this fireplace was not tested nor listed for use with ventfree gas logs. Therefore it is illegal to use and a fire hazard with ventfree.

This is the hazard when stores sell cash & carry sight unseen.

You should have a pro perform a Level II inspection prior to any continued use and consider getting a level III. If you were getting Black Particulate Matter, which you call 'soot', the fireplace may have seen overheating along the front face where you have a combustible header and studs.

Thanks for the quick response. Would a possible alternative be to have a professional take out the Majestic fireplace totally and purchase and install a new fireplace that will allow a vent free gas log set? Could they cap off the existing chimney and leave it there? Our fireplace is not on an outside wall of the house and the chimney goes up through the walls? I have a great picture of the fireplace after it was installed (we had our house built) before the sheetrock was put up and you can see the insert and chimney assembly. I can email it to you if that would help. We will absolutely use professionals to do any work needed.

Cool

You can and should replace the woodburner with a factory built gas direct vent using the existing chase vented vertically.

I strongly recommend against ventfree as does every building scientist in the country. Note that if you get your home weatherized the energy auditor will have to remove any ventfree appliances to qualify for the tax credits. That should tell you something.

You can go to NFIcertified.org to search for a certified professional in your area.

HTH,