Need help with dirty water in boiler

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a home that was not in use for about two years. The boiler was fully off when I arrived, when i switched the emergency switch to on, it fired up and eventually the system got warm. But, when i came back down to the basement I noticed the water in the level became black... it was white when I fired it up...

What cuases the dirt deposit and what is the proper procedure for cleaning this out? I am new to a radiator system, have used a forced air system in the past only. I read that flushing the water out and refilling is actually bad for the pump, is this the case?

Thank you for any help or insight you can offer me,
    -wally

You have stired up sediment. I would recomend to you to find a boiler company to service it and maintain it for you especially since it has been setting dormant. Each time water is added to the system the oxygen in the system will seperate out of solution and cause issues.

Have it cleaned and serviced, it is a pressure vessel that needs attention.

thank you for the advice, is it bad for the boiler to use it until I have a professional clean it out? It is getting chilly outside and am not sure when I will have someone check it out, but i do not want to cause any damage to it. The system is very new itself, only about 3 years, but was sitting unused.

I am

assuming this is a steam system. I would have a pro check the system ASAP paying particular attention to the pressure switch and low water cut-off device. I would not operate it until the boiler has been checked. These are both safety devices and if they fail, it could mean big trouble.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

i had an inspector check it out during the home inspection and he said the unit operates without issue and is new. When I fired it up, the heat did work and i saw no issues in terms of water level (the level was about half way in the glass pipe), however the water at first clear, turned greyish/black after the 1-2 hours of operation.. Yes this is a steam system.

I doubt

if the home inspector checked the LWCO or the pressure-trol. New or not, the system sat for quite some time. Again, I WOULD NOT operate the system until it has been checked by a pro.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

Quote Originally Posted by genericny View Post
    Hello all,

I have recently purchased a home that was not in use for about two years. The boiler was fully off when I arrived, when i switched the emergency switch to on, it fired up and eventually the system got warm. But, when i came back down to the basement I noticed the water in the level became black... it was white when I fired it up...

What cuases the dirt deposit and what is the proper procedure for cleaning this out? I am new to a radiator system, have used a forced air system in the past only. I read that flushing the water out and refilling is actually bad for the pump, is this the case?

Thank you for any help or insight you can offer me,
    -wally

steam system with pump?

Are you saying the house had no heat last winter if it didn't run for two years?

Any service tags at the heater showing when it was serviced last?
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

condensate return pump?Not too common on residential steam in my area.Either way,steam is not a diy project.Get an expert.

Good Advice but it is clouded

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    if the home inspector checked the LWCO or the pressure-trol. New or not, the system sat for quite some time. Again, I WOULD NOT operate the system until it has been checked by a pro.
    by the unfortunate judgement lapse with your tag line: BEAT ARMY!
    We can't be beat, although we have been know to have some setbacks and need to readjust! Hear those footsteps?
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

PS "if the home inspector checked the LWCO or the pressure-trol

A home inspector actually knows something about a steam boiler?
    That I would like see.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Steam can be dangerous if not properly maintained.
    Take the advice, call a pro
    Never give up; Never surrender!