Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noisy Register

If the noisy register in question is in one of your rooms that gets a lot of heat from the windows, you may consider splitting the airflow currently coming from the one register between two registers. Lower noise, same amount or better of airflow. Win win.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by skibme View Post
    Remove register,set it where you want it, silicone all moving parts that could possible rattle.Or option two remove inner damper from register.
    Skibme,

Please read and follow AOP forum rules for posting advice in these forums.

Silicone will quiet any type of register,diffuser or grill.Remove noisy item,apply from duct side,let dry and then reinstall.(clear is the least noticeable)
    ps. been doing this for decades with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by carene 7 View Post
    Silicone will quiet any type of register,diffuser or grill.Remove noisy item,apply from duct side,let dry and then reinstall.(clear is the least noticeable)
    ps. been doing this for decades with no problems
    Carene 7,

Please read and follow AOP forum rules before posting advice here.

Thank you.

Well, do you know what kiss me means? Keep it simple as you and me or whatever, posibly relocating that specific branch will help, or eliminate it, there are no quite grills, more fency grill reduce airdlow increase noise. Call your service company. They will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    If the noisy register in question is in one of your rooms that gets a lot of heat from the windows, you may consider splitting the airflow currently coming from the one register between two registers. Lower noise, same amount or better of airflow. Win win.
    This is what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by skibme View Post
    Remove register,set it where you want it, silicone all moving parts that could possible rattle.Or option two remove inner damper from register.
    haha...youre brilliant...cant believe I didnt think of that...

granted, I cant adjust the flow now, but 3 min. and superglue did the trick...haha....

sorry the admin. chastised you....not sure how you broke the rules, but Im glad you did!

And no, Im not going to just leave it like that...I'll probably jack the blower down for the winter, cuz it freakin blows like a tornado, which, in the summer I dont mind, but in the winter it'll be cold as hell...and then I'll either take y'alls advice and split that off to another register, or install an additional register somewhere in the loft, which should lessen the noise, w/o reducing volume of air movment.

thanks everybody....i really appreciate you guys trying to help.

(by the way, this forum always shows "backwards" to me...ie. the first post is always at the bottom and the most recent is at the top...how do i change that?)

Shophound gave you the best answer, barring that you might try a Hart and Cooley 821 style register.

seriously, you guys are giving DIY advice. The rules are you cant do that.

You being generous to a fault and taking away the earnings of HVAC Professional in the OP's area. 99 cents of superglue fixed the OP's stated issue. What it didnt do was create a service call for someone and it didnt get to the root cause of the issue for the OP who is now going to "jack down" the indoor blower motor speed, apparently by himself... The OP will now be fooling around with electricity and putting himself in harms way or he may do harm to the equipment by raising the Delta T so high it damages the device.

thats why there are rules on this site.

this is great advise same amount of air to room and quiet without having to keep ajusting blower
    slow air down to much in heat pump mode could cause adverse problems with the heat pump

this is great advise same amount of air to room and quiet without having to keep ajusting blower
    slow air down to much in heat pump mode could cause adverse problems with the heat pump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12