Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Register

Noisy Register

First, Im not very "technically" knowledgeable, so excuse my lack of correct terminology henceforth.
    My issue is ONE noisy register..
    We replaced both upstairs and downstairs units last year. I live in Texas, and one wall of our house is almost all windows, and heats up greatly. The old units never quite cooled our bedroom and master bath sufficiently, due to the huge windows. When they installed the new units, there persisted a problem with enough air flow (in just those two rooms), so, the contractor just bumped the blower up..and voila, every room is great. Problem is,...the register closest to the return air, and Im assuming right next to the blower in the attic blows like a tornado...with huge air volume.
    Now, In Texas, you'd probably be put in jail, complaining about TOO MUCH air flow...in the summer...but that one register, clicking all the time is driving me crazy considering we spent like 15k.
    I guess i could lower the blower speed....which I'll probably do in the winter, as we have a heat pump, and that volume of air kinda makes it feel cold as it blows across your skin. (Ive been thinking about replacing standard registers, with diffusers that blow across the ceiling because of this slight discomfort in the winter), but in the Summertime, this volume of air really helps, especially since that offending register is in a loft, directly over an open drop into the downstairs area, and also right in front of huge windows...
    When i complained during a routine service call, the service guy said..oh...just tighten the register. Of course, this works, for all of about 5 minutes, and then the 'clicking' returns... I took the register completely off, and of course, all sound went away.
    The Duct that supplies it is flex duct, that bends about a foot or so from the register, which I know may be adding to the problem.
    I guess my question is...what is the quietest register I can find, as I really dont want to lower the blower in the summer, 2. would a diffuser that blows air out on all four sides, and Im assuming dont have moving slats be quieter, as thats whats causing the problem I think...the slats "jiggling" as the air passes by them. and 3. will using a diffuser that blows air out across the ceiling rather than directly down, negatively affect heating effectiveness with a heat pump during the winter, cuz Im assuming that theres better air mixing when the air blasts straight down into the room. Are there diffusers with a larger space between slats, or that are fixed in place, and dont jiggle...?
    I really dont want to just leave the register off, and look all ghetto, but honestly, that tiny clicking noise is driving me nuts!
    Thanks for any help, and I apologize for my lack of specificity about air handler type, blower type, etc etc etc..Im just a homeowner trying to save a lil money. And to be honest, the service guys I call dont think its an issue...theyre like.."what are you complaining about? Its working GREAT!!!"

Have a damper installed at the take off for that register

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Have a damper installed at the take off for that register
    ok...im an idiot...

but wouldnt a damper dramatically reduce the amount of air volume coming out of the vent? (i guess thats the point...huh?) And Im not sure where the "take off" is, or what you mean by that...by take off, do you mean wherever that line breaks off in the attic, or where it hits the register...sorry, Im dumb.

Dunno why every register I can find at home improvment stores have such narrow openings between "slats" or "fins" or whatever you call em... and why theyre all adjustable..which just means that theyre going to jiggle and make noise..damnit...

Wish I could just find a grate with like 1" spaces between the slats that doesnt move, that just obscures your view into the ceiling a bit....

Remove register,set it where you want it, silicone all moving parts that could possible rattle.Or option two remove inner damper from register.

Your complaint was to much air from the closest register. You have a main trunk line that your register run outs are taken off of. Thus the take off. Where the flex connects to the main opposite of the register. This will ballance what is comming out ofthe register and allow to travel down stream.

you can try to tighten the fins
    by using needle nose pliars on the wire
    than connects the fins.
    over time they will losen again.
    or replace supply register.
    try hvac supply instead of box stores
    as they have better selections.

and fyi the take off is the place on the
    plenum where the duct is taken off the plenum.
    plenum is the box where air is blown to supply ducts..
    not to be confused with return plenum.
    take off...duct collar
    same thing

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

If it were me I would be looking at the H&C catalog and replace the register with a high quality one designed to direct the air where I wanted it to go.

The catalog has all the specifications on noise and airflow that you need to know.

Not advice, just sayin' Jeff
    Last edited by jeff520; 09-22-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo

install a damper & also use bar type registers with obd behind them.

Know one here knows what CFM you have or what "huge volume" means but this would be quieter than what you have; assuming you have standard cheesy residential registers. And, it;s not "ghetto". Don't put in an opposed blade damper it will be loud.

http://www.titus-hvac.com/ecatalog/m...=484&catid=186
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

delete-duplicate post

opposed blade dampers obd
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jeff520 View Post
    If it were me I would be looking at the H&C catalog and replace the register with a high quality one designed to direct the air where I wanted it to go. The catalog has all the specifications on noise and airflow that you need to know.Not advice, just sayin' Jeff
    I know nothing about airflow..haha...but thanks..and dont apologize, Im asking for advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skibme View Post
    Remove register,set it where you want it, silicone all moving parts that could possible rattle.Or option two remove inner damper from register.
    brilliant..haha..I'll try that first....

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Your complaint was to much air from the closest register. You have a main trunk line that your register run outs are taken off of. Thus the take off. Where the flex connects to the main opposite of the register. This will ballance what is comming out ofthe register and allow to travel down stream.
    Thanks...gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    try hvac supply instead of box stores
    as they have better selections.

best of luck
    This is spot on, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Know one here knows what CFM you have or what "huge volume" means but this would be quieter than what you have; assuming you have standard cheesy residential registers. And, it;s not "ghetto". Don't put in an opposed blade damper it will be loud.
    http://www.titus-hvac.com/ecatalog/m...=484&catid=186
    thanks a lot for that. Yes, I have "cheezy" res. registers. Looks pretty futuristic. Interesting. Guess I really need to get off my butt and see whats out there before I buy something like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Im assuming a bar type register has fins, or slats, or whatever theyre called that dont move...not sure what OBD is??

Thank you all VERY much for your input, I wasnt expecting all of these responses. Usually, you post something, and never get a response, or if you do, its from a site Prima Dona that just wants to flame you.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast