Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    139

    coil cleaners for homeowner

    Reading several threads about coil cleaners and don't want to jack the current thread. Do you guys recommend any cleaners for the homeowner to use? The fields around me are about done for the year being mowed and tilled so I usually like to wash my house with 30 second cleaner but am not sure what is in it. Sounds like simple green might attack aluminum. How about bubbling car soap?

    Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    assuming you're talking about cleaning your outdoor coils, by speaking of the fields nearby.

    there are specific outdoor coil cleaners that we use in the industry, they are pretty strong, and if not handled properly can cause serious injury to you. So if you decide that this is something that you want to tackle yourself, please read the safety documents that come with the cleaners The only place that i've seen outdoor coil cleaners is at a supply house for HVAC companies.

    If you are talking about the indoor coils, there should be a clean and care information that came with the system. the installing contractor should have left this information with you. if not, i know most manufacturers recommend cleaning with a mild detergent, such a dawn dishwashing soap. If there is a brand label on your coil, you can probably snoop around that manu's website and see what they recommend for homeowners.

    having a scheduled preventive maintenance plan with a local contractor would be the best, not only would they be doing this routine cleaning, they would also be checking your system to make sure it is safe and operating properly

    best of luck to you
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,260
    If you are cleaning your coils once a year by yourself I seriously doubt any type cleaner is required. I am surrounded by agriculture myself and I just hose it down with straight water as needed.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    139
    Yes I was speaking about the outdoor coil. I would rather not use any harsh chemicals but don't like how dirty the thing looks after the fields have been worked. I was going to wash it along with the house but don't want to use that cleaner on it. I was thinking on covering it and washing it later. Originally I thought the first rain would have washed it clean but it more or less made it look worse on the outside. My installer was already out for the units checkup and I would hate to call him out because I want the unit to look nice. I guess I should actually be asking what kind of soap can I use on the shroud around the coil and not have to worry about getting it on the coil.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzzlle View Post
    Yes I was speaking about the outdoor coil. I would rather not use any harsh chemicals but don't like how dirty the thing looks after the fields have been worked. I was going to wash it along with the house but don't want to use that cleaner on it. I was thinking on covering it and washing it later. Originally I thought the first rain would have washed it clean but it more or less made it look worse on the outside. My installer was already out for the units checkup and I would hate to call him out because I want the unit to look nice. I guess I should actually be asking what kind of soap can I use on the shroud around the coil and not have to worry about getting it on the coil.
    I wash the outside of the units I maintenance with turtle car wash soap. No fear of damaging the coil with that at all
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    139
    Thanks. That's along the lines I have started thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Thinking about waxing it but wife will call me nuts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,260
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzzlle View Post
    Thanks. That's along the lines I have started thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Thinking about waxing it but wife will call me nuts.
    Be sure and use something like Mequires Mirror Glaze #2 before applying a high quality Carnuba wax. Racing stripes would also help it to perform better too. Just joshin with you....but I agree with your assessment of what your wife would think.

    I still say soap/ cleaning solution is not required for a coil that is cleaned on a regular basis.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Be sure and use something like Mequires Mirror Glaze #2 before applying a high quality Carnuba wax. Racing stripes would also help it to perform better too. Just joshin with you....but I agree with your assessment of what your wife would think.

    I still say soap/ cleaning solution is not required for a coil that is cleaned on a regular basis.

    Great idea on the racing stripes. Maybe I can sell that as an upgrade lol.
    I think he is referring to the cabinet not looking clean...
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Great idea on the racing stripes. Maybe I can sell that as an upgrade lol.
    I think he is referring to the cabinet not looking clean...
    Pascone, please abide by the AOP rules.

    You can apply for AOP * status, follow the link in my signature.

    Thanks
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event