Must have expeience.I don't now what?

I went to a trade school, finished three years ago. EVERY job that I see they mention you need 2-3 years experience. What do you do if you have a Universal EPA, perfect attendance and want to get into the Fort Knox career of HVAC where it's next to impossible to get in? What gives?

you haven't found a job in this trade for 3 years? what area are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post
    I went to a trade school, finished three years ago. EVERY job that I see they mention you need 2-3 years experience. What do you do if you have a Universal EPA, perfect attendance and want to get into the Fort Knox career of HVAC where it's next to impossible to get in? What gives?
    Please don't let that 2-3 years experience stop you from applying for the job. Some owners out there do have a heart, you just have to searching and applying. I can not even find a busboy job back in 1980 because they required an experience at least 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    you haven't found a job in this trade for 3 years? what area are you in?
    I'm in Michigan in the Detroit area and it's tough. Since going to school back in '06 I still read up on HVAC. The skills I've learned at the Northwestern Tech might not be good enough I don't know. I hate to think I've wasted my time but I've got a family to feed.
    My question is who do you have to know to 'get in' to the HVAC trade? I'm starting to think it's some exclusive club.

In each case, I went with what I had and won them over from there, something I haven't forgotten now that I push a keyboard. My second job I showed up every morning at 7:30 for a week in the office looking for work. That Friday, the owner stepped out of his office, saw me and turned to the supervisor saying, "Give that kid a job, I'm tired of seeing his &%$#@ face in here." Worked there for almost 8 years...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Like was previously stated don't worry about the experience requirements just apply. At times there is nothing glamorous about this field and if you beat on the door long enough someone will see your determination and let you in.

I had to start out by doing maintenance and it sucked. But most of the people that I worked with were lazy so if they could not just add r22 they did not know what to do. Thats where I got my experience from. But sometimes companys do not like maintenance guys because they can fix the easy stuff but have to call somebody else to fix the harder stuff. You will have to find a way around that but atleast you can get some experience.....Hang in there
    HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY???

I agree with Blownfuse99. I would start contacting property managers in your area. Some of the do their own HVAC in house. The pay won't be so great starting off but you will gain field experience.

Quote Originally Posted by code1 View Post
    I agree with Blownfuse99. I would start contacting property managers in your area. Some of the do their own HVAC in house. The pay won't be so great starting off but you will gain field experience.
    Ditto...my first property had no less than 7 different models and brands of outdoor condensers...Janitrol, Rheem, Coleman, Ruud,...you name it, we had it...after 3 1/2 years there, I was pretty proficient in all the basics...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon