Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    The most expensive screw up Ive seen was about 3 years ago at one of my server farms.

building feed from the utility ran about 80 ft underneath the parking lot through 6" pvc that usually carried about a 2000 amp load that ran into the data centers switch gear.

Some how one Sat afternoon the cables shorted leg to leg underground with the 6" 100 or so feet of pvc filled with water.
    Our Electric Company ran a 14 KV line thru the middle of a concrete sewer pipe, luckily nothing happened. Sewer crews found it while send their camera down the pipe. Gotta love horizontal drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Our Electric Company ran a 14 KV line thru the middle of a concrete sewer pipe, luckily nothing happened. Sewer crews found it while send their camera down the pipe. Gotta love horizontal drilling.
    I saw a 250 KV underground Static line [connects two power plants] get bored into just outside the Talleyrand Generating station. The bore pierced the concrete wall of the underground splice and then cut through the Schedule 80 steel pipe covering the static line. It did not injure anyone but it did weld the auger to the casing and all of the gears/bearings inside the boring machine.

I was out there in the middle of the night because I designed and built the trailer mounted self-contained eviromental system [Dessicant dehumidification with DX heat reclaim] that was needed to dry out the always wet splice chambers so the million dollar a mile cable could be spliced [it took 48 hours at 40% RH around the clock to make a splice].

They broke my machine going over some rough railroad tracks in the hurry to get the machine here from NJ.

A few years back we were re routing piping for a couple steam boilers in a hospital. We had to run an 8" pipe through a "clean storage room" in which the lady was a total *****. The night before all of the hangers were put up above the drop ceiling. The next day they were sliding the pipe through and one of the hangers came out and the pipe crashed through the ceiling about a foot away from the lady's desk ha ha, luckily she stepped out of the office for awhile. My brother who put the hangers up left because he was sure he was fired but it turned out a drill bit was to blame.

This wasn't the most costly mistake, but one that really PO'd me. Got a call Friday afternoon that a new gas furnace our installer had installed caught fire. It was a hot summer day. Got there and the H.O. let me in as far as the Foyer, could smell a very faint burned motor smell. I walked around the house to the basement, the smell was so faint I thought it might be a transformer. It turned out the motor was burned up. H.O, told me he'd turned the breaker off, but I still had 120 on the white wire. Checked every breaker and still had 120. Pulled the panel and found white attached to hot buss with a ground screw. Pulled the wire off and put it on neutral after taking pictures. Picked up a new motor and got him cooling for the weekend. When the salesman called on Monday, he told him the company would be hearing from his lawyer on damages to his home. A month later we got a bill for painting his entire house, cleaning and replacing furniture. Years later I was buying a car and almost ready to sign. Sales Manager comes out to give me his spiel. I ended up telling him off about the furnace and walked out.

I think mine was finding an old R-500 carrier out of refrigerant, so we found the leak ,with nitrogen . This was in the mid 1970's and I was a newbie, I didn't bother to check the plate , as far as I knew everything was R-22 or R-12 .
    I gassed that puppy up with R-22 and it didn't work right, I called an experienced tech to come look at it and he showed me my mistake, and stayed with me to get it back on line.

Yes I am an old man !

After checking the run cap on a blower motor and forgetting to connect one of the wires, because the customer had interrupted me with some questions, I actually burnt up the motor. The loose wire was grounded and the motor fried.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    A few years back we were re routing piping for a couple steam boilers in a hospital. We had to run an 8" pipe through a "clean storage room" in which the lady was a total *****. The night before all of the hangers were put up above the drop ceiling. The next day they were sliding the pipe through and one of the hangers came out and the pipe crashed through the ceiling about a foot away from the lady's desk ha ha, luckily she stepped out of the office for awhile. My brother who put the hangers up left because he was sure he was fired but it turned out a drill bit was to blame.
    We had to hang a 5 ton AHU in a office space over a womans office. She was being a total hag about it.

After arguing for 15 minutes I put down my tools and went down to the engineers office and co-ordinated a meeting with her boss, buildingmamgement and the engineer.

Put a stop to that instantly.

Been at a site where a peon was *****ing at us for working in the area he needed to be in. My supervisor was nice about it and we took an early lunch. Had it been me, I would have asked him for a request in writing, then we would have unfolded some chairs in front of the facility, sat down, had coffee and billed for that time under "Sat and drank coffee at Buddy's request to clear the work area; copy of the request attached to invoice".. Since it would have been for a mechanic, a helper and a truck, it would have been in the ballpark $200 per hour, so his bossman would have torn him a new one and would have had a friendly meeting with the rest of the staff about interfering with our work

Almost 4 years ago, I was rebuilding a Vilter 450XL Compressor (For an Ammonia Refrigerated System), got it all put back together and fired up the system....About 30 seconds after I started up the compressor I smelled Ammonia.....Woops, forgot the Head Gasket....My mistake ended up clearing out the warehouse (Due to the Ammonia Release, Thankfully we only lost about 14 pounds before I was able to stop the leak), thankfully no one was injured and I pumped the system back down, opened up the compressor and put the head gaskets back in. Didn't cost the company any money, but it did take a chunk out of my ego....Newb mistake. I'll tell you this, it wont ever happen again. First and last time.

Thanks,
    -Chris

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678