Hussmann reach in ice issue

I am having an issue with ice build up in a Hussmann frozen case and am at my wit's end about it. I've exhausted all my resources and thought I'd ask here. I don't have a model number, but the case is the "tall" model circa 2008 with innovator doors. I can get the model/serial tomorrow if need be.

The ice is occuring on only one 2 foot section of one case out of a 9 case line up. The ice builds up between the top of the door frame and the honeycomb. I've tried 1) Swapping gaskets with doors on another case, no help; 2) sealing seams in the area with butyl tape; 3) removing the ice, only to see it come back The defrost cycle (according to cpc graph of temps, and how the rest of the case looks) is working fine. My next step (and I think I'm grasping at straws here) is to adjust the closing tension of the door to make it seal better...but i'm afraid if I do that the door will slam shut really hard. Air has to be leaking from somewhere...but I can't figure out where. Here's a pic.

Thanks in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maybe the door heater is bad for that section?

Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    Maybe the door heater is bad for that section?
    Interesting...but the door/mullion heaters for this case (if I recall correctly) don't run through the area where the ice is occuring. And, the heaters are one long wire...why would only one section fail? When they're failed in the past, it's been the whole case (which sucks, because the doors freeze to the mullion and rip off the gaskets).

My only other thought is...notice the mullion and LED light in the pic. There are wires for the light that come out of a hole in the mullion. The hole has been sealed with sealing gum....but I wonder if that isn't where the air is leaking in. Then again, the ice issue preceded the installation of the LED lights. The previous fluro light has a sort of plastic protective cove around it...so I don't think the hole in the mullion is the problem. Or could it be?

I have experienced and repaired this same problem in a store built in 2009 or 2010. There is a gap between the door frame and the top of the case. They do a poor job of sealing this at the factory. Take your caulk gun and squeeze a bead of butyle or silicon across the upper inside of the frames, the entire length of the case and it should solve your problems.

Thanks badgerland...I noticed that gap and tried to seal it with tape...caulk would probably work much better. Do I need to use something for low temps, or is regular old silicone ok?

Quote Originally Posted by badgerland01 View Post
    I have experienced and repaired this same problem in a store built in 2009 or 2010. There is a gap between the door frame and the top of the case. They do a poor job of sealing this at the factory. Take your caulk gun and squeeze a bead of butyle or silicon across the upper inside of the frames, the entire length of the case and it should solve your problems.
    x2. I used gray caulk, didn't have Butyl. Also, on the top of some cases there is a seam/joint about 4 inches from the front. Have caulked those as well.

Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    I tried clear silicon to seal gap before, but it didn't work very good.

Sikaflex (not sure on spelling) is what we use and it does wonders. All of our non-mechanical guys use it for everything.

The other thing to look at is the set points. If they are running too cold you will see frost built up like this also.