Fan won't spin....

but outside unit makes a running noise like it's on. Also, it's 20 yrs old.

I'm guessing it's a compressor....time for a new system?

At 20 years old, upgrading to a new system would help with energy consuption and comfort.

if the fan is spinning and there is a noise, chances are that is the compressor running.

it would be best to shut the system off, and call a local HVAC contractoro to come out and take a look at the system.

we have a map located of our professionals, you may be able to find someone near you.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

From what you describe the compressor is probably working just fine. I am more inclined toward a problem either with the fan motor its self or with the electrical power that supplies it. Do not try to solve this on your own, you need a pro to correctly diagnose which component has failed, but if you are describing it correctly then in all likelyhood it will not be a major repair (like a new compressor or a new unit!)
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTechNC View Post
    From what you describe the compressor is probably working just fine.
    Hard to tell if the compressor is working just fine from your description. I agree that it would be best to shut the system off for now.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bostonmark View Post
    Hard to tell if the compressor is working just fine from your description. I agree that it would be best to shut the system off for now.

Mark
    Well, when someone says to me that a condensing unit makes a noise like it is on, but the fan doesn't spin then I am thinking compressor is making the noise (it is running) and fan isn't.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoodman View Post
    but outside unit makes a running noise like it's on. Also, it's 20 yrs old.

I'm guessing it's a compressor....time for a new system?
    That's the problem....you're not alone, alot of people "guess". Have it checked out, could very easily be an inexpensive electrical part. Reversing valves make noise too on old units. At 20 yrs old, its done its job, and yes you will save $$$ on your power bill with a new one. How much, depends on alot of factors. Have it looked at, and then make your decision if its worth repairing. good luck.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.